First two eggs today from pullets born mid April! But too soft.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ParistoCapeCod, Sep 11, 2012.

1. ParistoCapeCod

ParistoCapeCod Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2012
    Cape Cod
    My Coop
    Maybe it was the drastic drop in temperatures. Unfortunately, they were too soft. Is this normal for the first eggs? They get layer pellets, and yogurt for extra calcium. Adding oyster shell today. Since I have 2 eggs and 4 birds, and now know one is a roo, I'm wondering about the other! 1 DorkingX and 3 DominiqueX

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I don't know how old your pullets are, but the average time to begin laying is 24 weeks; if they are much younger, this is absolutely normal, and you're doing the right thing by getting oyster shell. Offer it free choice, in a seperate container, for the best results. Congrats on those first eggs!!! I've had chickens for several years, and I still love colleciting eggs as much as the very first ones I ever got!

3. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Sometimes young bird's egg-laying apparatus is not quite up to speed, and they may lay a few shell-less eggs. That should clear up as they get going. Free-choice oyster shell is an excellent idea.

4. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    Mine did the same thing, I think it's just their systems learning how to work. Layer feed has calcium and I also offer oyster shell. They much prefer me to dry and crush their own shells and give them back to them as a source of calcium. Must taste yummy!

5. ParistoCapeCod

ParistoCapeCod Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2012
    Cape Cod
    My Coop
    Everybody's on track now! Great production. The two year-olds I bought lay much larger eggs but all are doing great!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by