We picked up 6 chicks at TSC last Saturday, in advance of receiving our first order of day-olds from Meyer. Of the 6 we got at TSC, we've lost 2. The first I had to cull, which was very hard. Right after that I got a call from Meyer saying we had to make substitutions on 2/3 of our order due to bad hatches. Then today Fluffina, the black silkie who was everyone's favorite, died. She was smaller and never seemed to thrive like the three white ones have. She slept a lot and finally just slipped away, much to my and my four-year-old's sorrow. In the meantime I am pacing around waiting for the phone to ring to pick up our Meyer order, which shipped on Monday afternoon. It's now Wednesday afternoon and no word from the P.O. We had a cold snap on Monday and Tuesday, and given the way this week has been I'm fully expecting to end up with a box of mostly dead chicks tomorrow. And of course I will have to take all 4 of my small children with me when I go to get them if it's anytime during the day. I've warned them to expect DOAs, but depending on how bad it is it may be a pretty unhappy experience for all. I never expected this chicken project to be so stressful!