first week in coop/run but not going in coop on their own

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Picotine, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Picotine

Picotine Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2011
    about 4 days ago, we finally finished the coop and run and got the chicks out of our house. we only made one door to the run and realized that it was difficult to move the run around, need 2 people to do it and 2 people are not always available to move it around morning and evening to let them in/out. well, they gladly go out on their own and today, the run was 2 feet away from the coop but they still made it straight for the run on their own. but so far, i had to go in the run every night to stuff them in the coop myself one by one because they're not going on their own even if it's raining. they just huddled in a non-tarp-covered corner of the run where they would've been rained on all night. not even going in the coop when it's getting pretty dark out and we put a light inside.

so i'm wondering if there's something wrong with my coop that they don't like it or do they just need more time to get used to it?

2. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    They need some time to get used to it. Just before it gets dark pick them up and put them on the roosts, close the door. After a few times they'll figure it out.

3. Picotine

Jul 13, 2011
    thanks.

one more question, it's been very rainy lately, as a matter of fact, there's a thunderstorm brewing and the run is not connected to the coop at the moment. we moved it so they could have fresh grass... even tho there's a tarp over part of the run, should i move them to their coop for the storm?

4. reksat

reksat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    western,MD
    Over time they will figure this out. My chicks are 14 weks and the first couple times i had to put them on the ramp and in the door,but after that, one of them got brave and did it itself.After that it was follow the leader. Even now when it rains or storms they either go under the coop or up in it. Just be patient they'll get it.

5. Haunted Chicken

Haunted Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    My friend finished her coop the day before she left on vacation. I'd go over each night and round them up and place them in the coop. On the 5th night I couldn't find them anywhere, they were in the coop! [​IMG]

Last night was my chicks first night in their new coop, I'm hoping they only take 4 nights to learn to go to bed on their own [​IMG].

Good luck, I;m sure they will have it figured out in no time [​IMG]

6. Picotine

Jul 13, 2011
    thanks, i'm glad it's just a matter of giving them time to learn [​IMG]

i moved my chicks in their coop as the storm started. i got drenched but i kept them as dry as i could [​IMG] i guess they'll be spending the next few days in their coop... weather forecast is all rain as far as we can see [​IMG]

7. catsew

catsew Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Ours have only been out 2-3 days. And only one is going in and out. The other gets close, but I still put them in at night. It has stormed every night and I don't know if they're smart enough to go in yet, so I put them in just in case. I'm hoping they'll figure it out soon enough, but we don't have their permanent run finished yet, so they can't stay out anyway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by