first winter in northern Minnesota. tips?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by allens, Nov 1, 2013.

1. allens

allens New Egg

Oct 14, 2013
    minnesota
    I live in northern Minnesota where temps can get as cold as -30f I built a 4x4 coop and insulated the walls,floor and roof. I have a window in it that i keep cracked and a small slidind door that is always open. I want them to lay all winter. I have a heat lamp in there and it has been keeping the coop about 60 degrees all of the time. It has been freezing at night now.have I gone overboard with the insulating? Also how do I keep them laying all winter? Do I need to cover the run for the winter too?

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC! Check out the Where Am I Where Are You board for the thread on your state or other cold weather ones https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you And here is a current thread with a lot of winterizing tips. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/822765/winter-is-coming-checklists-tips-advice-for-a-newbie
    Most people do not recommend heating the coop, even in very cold climates because of the the sudden change from warm to cold if the power goes out or if the chickens go outside and they are not used to the cold. As long as they have good shelter from the wind and plenty to eat they seem to be fine. You do however need light in the coop if you want most chickens to lay in the winter (first year pullets will sometimes lay even with out additional light), generally 14-16 hours.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  3. chickenboy190

chickenboy190 Overrun With Chickens

May 31, 2013
    Ohio
    Welcome! Glad you joined BYC! :~D

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    [​IMG]

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

6. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

Welcome and enjoy!
    Steve. :frow

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] chickens need 4 sq.feet per bird inside coop and 10 sq.feet per bird in the outside run. That is way too hot for birds facing winter, as another respondent said if your power goes out, it will be a big shock to birds used to being pampered with indoor heat. You didn't say how many chickens you will have so I don't know if your coop etc. is large enough. Chickens in a draft free, produce a lot of heat themselves. If you don't have sufficient ventilation, condensation will form and cause frostbite.

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Kelsie gives good advice - welcome to BYC.

9. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by