First winter with chickens... need advice

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MIfarmgirl, Dec 19, 2011.

1. MIfarmgirl

MIfarmgirl Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2011
    We have ten hens (Australorps, RIRs, and Black Sex Links) and one rooster, a Barred Rock; all are ten months old. We're in Michigan.

The rooster is showing signs of frostbite on his comb and wattles, nothing severe, but nonetheless, something I don't want him to suffer-- black edges here and there. It's not been terribly cold yet this year, so I'm not *certain* it's frostbite. We also have a heat lamp in their coop, so it's generally a decent temperature (above 30) inside at night. Here's the issue.

The rooster is not friendly to me. In fact, he's become rather mean and today attacked me when I bent down to take a look at his comb. He has come after me (and others, particularly kids) before, so I usually carry a stick with me to fend him off... just in case. I know I'm supposed to put Vaseline on any areas affected by frostbite, but I can't figure out how in the world I can get ahold of him and apply the Vaseline. How do I even know if it's frostbite?

Please advise. I don't want this bird to suffer, but at the same time, I'm just about to grow eyes in the back of my head to protect myself from this bird and don't know what to do.

Thanks,

Pam

2. FiveHens

FiveHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    All I can say is that anything above thirty--or to some extent below it--will be absolutely fine for chickens. In fact, I'm not even sure frostbite can happen when the temperature is higher than freezing. Sorry, I don't have any experience with aggressive roosters, but from what I've heard, you will have an even bigger problem on your hands shortly if you don't establish dominance over him or get rid of him. They can be quite dangerous. Sorry, I know that doesn't fully answer your question. [​IMG]

3. MIfarmgirl

May 7, 2011
    I know. He's becoming progressively more aggressive with me and others, but mostly with me. I hang my head in saying this, but I have fended him off with my boot, a coffee can with a handle, a large stake, and a water bucket. Today he just kept coming after me, even after I knocked him back with the stake. I want to help this chicken, but if he keeps it up, he will be dinner (sorry to those sensitive to chicken-eating).

Thanks,

Pam

4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
  5. BamaSilkies

BamaSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2011
    NE Alabama
    I personally dont keep aggressive roos as a matter of fact I have one now that is going to leave. I do keep a fish/dip net to catch escapees if I need to.

6. MIfarmgirl

May 7, 2011
    1muttsfan... to be honest, previously this year, I read and just barely started to participate in the Michigan sub-forum, but there was *a lot* of in-fighting, a lot of bickering among the members. It was alienating, and I never went back. It's just not my vibe.

Thanks,

Pam

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by