First winter with ducks. Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckymama2, Nov 28, 2014.

1. duckymama2

duckymama2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2014
    Oak Hill, Florida
    This is my first winter with my ducks. I have 2 pekins and 2 khaki cambells. They have a coop they are safely in when we are gone and at night. During the day, when we are home, and they are out of the coop, it seems the cold bothers there feet. When they walk from the coop to the house, they only walk a short distance and then stop and lay down. Like they are warming up their feet or something. We live in Wisconsin and have had some cold temps. I have noticed that when its in the 30s they don't seem to do that. They are walking on snow to get to the house. They love to hang out next to the house when they are out of the coop. So is it normal for ducks to get cold feet and not walk far distances?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Yes - in fact they can get frostbite, so I put a little bedding on top of the snow where they walk and hang out.

3. duckymama2

duckymama2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2014
    Oak Hill, Florida
    Next to the house they have a spot where there is no snow. Tomorrow I will throw down some straw there for them to lay on. Thanks for the reply. My poor ducky babes - I hate the cold and worry about them.

4. Onlyducks

Onlyducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2014
    The reason the ducks are walking on the snow is snow is pretty much at a constant temperature. It can work like an insulator. The sitting down and sometimes holding up one foot are signs they are cold. They are indeed trying to warm their feet. Putting straw by the house should help. My ducks seem okay unless it's really cold—down into the single digits or below. Ducks actually are fairly cold resistant. Mostly it's just their feet you'll need to watch. They have plently of down and feathers on the rest of their bodies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by