First winter with the Girls!

crera

In the Brooder
Jun 1, 2015
We live in north western MN and are trying to figure out what the Girls are going to need for winter. We have 4 hens, a Sienna star, sapphire gem, calico and amberlink.
It gets pretty cold here in winter sometimes (staying -5F to colder over a week for a high). Their coop/nesting area Is kind of cozy. Coop 22.2”W x 36.4”D x 23”H (5.6 sq ft) Nesting box 12.6”W x 36.4”D x 23”H (3.185 sq ft). Would a flat panel heater work in coop? Would they need a heater? Do I keep water in coop if they are locked in overnight? Can they be let in their small pen during the day (84 in. x 42 in. x 57 in)
We've been looking through so much different information we are just getting frustrated on what we are needing to do in the winter for them!
Thanks!

You don't need heat. If you add head you'll probably want to close up the coop to keep that heat in. What you need is a way to get the moisture from the birds' pooping and breathiing out of that coop. The biggest problem I see is that your coop is so very small. It's only 2' by 3' which makes it 6 square feet. Nesting box space does not count as area for the birds. Ideal coop space is 4 square feet per bird. With your small area it's going to be difficult to get the moisture out of the coop. How many and how large are your vents? My vents are two 1' by 3' vents just under the eaves and a 2' by 2' vent in the back where there is no wind. Those vents are never closed. Remember, a dry chicken is a warm chicken. A 2" by 4" board makes an excellent roost if you install is with the 4" side up. The birds will be able to sit in their feet and keep their toes warm.

You don't need water in the coop at night. Birds have very poor night vision. Once they roost they stay on the roost for the night. You really don't have the space for water anyway.

For winter water I use a tote, horizontal nipples, and a stock tank deicer. Kept my water thawed down to -22 F. With only 4 birds a heated dog water dish might work well.

I also cover 3 sides of the run with clear shower curtains. This makes a nice wind free place for the birds to spend the days. They hate being inside the coop. Their water and food are kept in the run. The run is noticeably warmer the the outside when I walk in there.

There is a vent on the back, 1 side and above the ramp going into coop.
We do have a small well house (probably 6'x8' 7' high) we could put them in. Wasn't sure if that Would be to big for the 4 of them to keep warm. Would they need heat in that? We could also add a pen they could go outside.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-08-14-11-25-39~2.png
    Screenshot_2018-08-14-11-25-39~2.png
    872.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_2018-08-14-11-25-39~2.png
    Screenshot_2018-08-14-11-25-39~2.png
    872.5 KB · Views: 2
Again, a warm chicken is a dry chicken. A dry chicken is a warm chicken. Memorize that. Chickens have all that down and feathers. They keep themselves warm. As long as you keep the humidity in the coop low the birds will be able to keep warm. I live in Northern Montana and the birds are outside in the run doing their thing even when it's -22 F. Some of the members here have winters that get even colder. As long as the birds have a draft free moisture free area to hang out in they will do fine. In fact, chickens do better in the cold than they do on hot summer days.

Every year we have several people write into the forums. They heated their coops. Their coops burned down.

I started out with a coop like you have. Realized very quickly that it was not suitable for winter at all. Had to build a much larger coop and run. I still keep the old coop. It's great for baby chicks. Even then after the chicks are 6 weeks old that coop and run is usually too small for them.

We live in north western MN and are trying to figure out what the Girls are going to need for winter. We have 4 hens, a Sienna star, sapphire gem, calico and amberlink.
It gets pretty cold here in winter sometimes (staying -5F to colder over a week for a high). Their coop/nesting area Is kind of cozy. Coop 22.2”W x 36.4”D x 23”H (5.6 sq ft) Nesting box 12.6”W x 36.4”D x 23”H (3.185 sq ft). Would a flat panel heater work in coop? Would they need a heater? Do I keep water in coop if they are locked in overnight? Can they be let in their small pen during the day (84 in. x 42 in. x 57 in)
We've been looking through so much different information we are just getting frustrated on what we are needing to do in the winter for them!
Thanks!
I used to have chickens in MN when I used to live there, and it was cold! Here's my tips on keeping your chickens warm this winter:
  • Use straw for bedding. It's hollow, meaning it can trap in heat, plus they like to scratch around in the straw and eat the seeds. I also suggest using the Deep Litter Method. It's a way of composting that also helps keep your chickens warm.
  • I don't suggest heating your coop. It's a fire hazard, and that never ends well. Also, your chickens can become dependent on the heater, so if it were to go out or they went outside, they could die because their bodies aren't adjusted to the heat.
  • You can let them out during the day, but not saying they're going to like it! I would shovel away some snow to make a path for them to encourage them to go outside. If they don't want to go out, then put food and water in the coop for them, or let them come out to drink and eat. I also suggest putting some perches for them to walk on so that way their feet won't have to get so cold.
  • You don't need food and water overnight. I find that they don't use it, and they water will freeze. I suggest using a heated dog waterer for their water in the winter to keep it from freezing.
  • I also suggest to make them warming treats to keep them warm. Oatmeal is a great option. You could make a big batch and give them the left overs, and adding cayenne peeper into it. It helps them circulate blood to their combs and feet.
  • To keep them entertained, hang a mirror in their coop. They love it! I also like to give them scratch grains. It gives them something to do, and it keeps them warm. Adding corn to their feed will help as well.
I hope this helps you! Let me know if you have any more questions! :)

Back
Top Bottom