First worming....when??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Three Cedars Silkies, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    My pullets are now 16 weeks old. When do you first worm them and how often?

2. MsBentleyboy

MsBentleyboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Kentucky girl
    I continously worm mine with all natural stuff in their food and then a prevention in the water using apple cidar vinegar.

Some dewormers (the unnatural kind) state on the bottle that you need to repeat the method every 30 days...but then you can never eat the eggs b/c there is a waiting period. If you prefered one like this, that was not all natural, I would wait until they stop producing eggs and then stop once they begin again.

3. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:could you be more specific about this all natural "stuff"?

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Buttermilk and unsalted pumpkin seeds or pumpkin itself broken in half for them to eat. Curcurbit in the seeds paralyzes the worm and the buttermilk provides the proper environment to flush them out.
    You really dont need to worm this unless they have a big worm load and you actually see worms in their poop pr they appear unthrifty. I didn't worm mine till they were over 2 yrs old and only because I saw a worm in a rooster's poop.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2008
  5. Biddieacres

Biddieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Ah thank you for asking, I have been wondering myself. I love this place! By all natural stuff in the food do you mean food grade DE?

6. Biddieacres

Biddieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Speckled Hen, I love the pumpkin and buttermilk idea. Thank you!

7. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    pumpkin seeds (hulled) are called pepitas here...
    here is a photo:
    http://www.boneware.com/Food Art/Veggies/Pepitas.htm
    I luv them oil fried and salted (but that would be horrid for your birds!)

Even though I give my birds all the natural things I still have to worm them three times a year... once with a ten day interval and I use the ivomec Eprinex (spot-on) and then again in the early spring and late summer or right before winter I alternate on occasion with fenbendazole (though not when there is a molt).

Last edited: Jul 17, 2008
  8. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Nope...haven't seen a thing in their poop. I do use ACV in their water and although I don't put DE in their food, I do use it in their coop over the shavings and dust them in it to prevent lice.

9. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Don't fix what ain't broke [​IMG]

10. MsBentleyboy

MsBentleyboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Kentucky girl
    The all natural stuff is WormGuard Plus Borad Spectrum. Controlls intestinal parasites. 100% safe.

You add one and one quarter cup to 50 lbs of feed. I only add it as I put food out instead of trying to mix that much in a huge bag.

I purchased this from Murray-McMurray Hatchery however the bag is labeled with this info.

www.theholistichorse.com 1-877-774-0594

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by