1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First year molt question.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by flyin-lowe, Oct 30, 2016.

1. flyin-lowe

flyin-lowe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2016
    Indiana
    I got my first nine hens this past spring, they all hatched one year ago in October. (3 RIR, 3 rocks, and 3 golden comets). I have noticed their egg laying slowing down slightly with the shorter days. I have not seen any signs of a molt yet. Do all hens always molt once a year or are all bread different? Temps are definitely getting colder and we will really be into winter before we know it. I am assuming given the fact they are over a year old they will all molt this year?

2. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi. [​IMG]

I would expect them to molt this year. But not sure if being born in October verses March makes a difference or not. Also, many slow down for winter even if they don't molt.

3. flyin-lowe

Jan 24, 2016
    Indiana
    Thanks, I know and expected the egg laying to slow down over the winter.

4. flyin-lowe

Jan 24, 2016
    Indiana
    I just noticed today a large amount of black and white feathers in my run and many more around the yard after I let them out today. Looks like at least one of my barred rocks is starting to molt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by