Firsttimer with Little Giant

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Dancingfire, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Dancingfire

Dancingfire Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2012
    Maine
    Someone lent me an older model...Little Giant still air.I am just setting it up with no instruction booklet.There was a flat oblong piece of meatal inside with holes in it...Not sure where that goes.I I am trying to maintain 98 or 99 degrees,it is up to 109...Does it take a while for the temp to level off? It's only been plugged in a half hour or so.I would appreciate any help I can get.This site has been great and I have learned alot...But I think I need a little specific help...Thanks in advance.

2. Dancingfire

Apr 9, 2012
    Maine

3. DirtCreature

DirtCreature Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Olympia, Washington
    SO, I have a barrowed LG still air as well.

Are the plug in the top ? i think if they are you should take them out. then ck in half hour of so. to see what it is at then.

What part of the house is it in? is it by a window?

What is your humidity at? do you have a hygrometer? what kind of thermeter are you using?

these are all questions if answered someone or me could prob help you a little bit better.

just for an example i wil post a pic of how mine is currently running.

[​IMG]

This is my barrowed LG. the cord coming out the front is for the turner, and the one out of the top is for the thermostat.

[​IMG]

this is the top. when we where given it, it had neither of the two plug that go in the top. we stuffed napkins in them. and the peach colored thing is a envolope used to mail things lined with bubble wrap inside.

[​IMG]

this is through the left window (uncovered one) you can see the egg turner, and i have cut down dixie cups, 3-4 of them with sponges in them (wet) to keep the humidity. i noticed in mine i could not only put water in the resivoirs with the eggs and turner in it but also couldnt see how much i was putting in. this works best for me.

I currently have one digital hygrowmeter/thermometer and a old school thermometer in it. i avrage out between the two to decide what the current temp relly is cause ive noticed the digital is off about 2 degrees and also found i cannot calibrate it apparently.

Hope this helps. i will ck this thread again to see if you have anymore questions.

I know mine looks "ghetto" but this is the way i set it up and it works best believe it or not... [​IMG]

4. Dancingfire

Apr 9, 2012
    Maine
    Mine is in the living room,I had to set the cover ajar a little to maintain 99.5 but I am only holding a humidity of 24.

5. DirtCreature

Aug 8, 2011
    Olympia, Washington
    well the wider the area of water the more humid it will get. so if you lay a wet hand towel under the rack or egg turner which ever you have, it should bring the temp up.

If you are doing dry incubation i think the lowest you should have it is 25% but no lower.

i like to keep mine at 30-40% for day 1-18 and higher like 60-75% for lockdown, days 18-21.

6. Dancingfire

Apr 9, 2012
    Maine
    Thank you so much for your great info...I will try the wet towel...It is still air,I have water in the resevoire channels and also a bowl with a sponge.It is good to know that if I cant get the humidity up any higher...it will still be enough.Do you have any idea what the flat wide piece of metal with the holes in it might be?

7. Dancingfire

Apr 9, 2012
    Maine

8. DirtCreature

Aug 8, 2011
    Olympia, Washington
    IDK [​IMG]

do you have a picture?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by