Firt timer here...had a LG given to us

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Knight Hawk Ranch, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Knight Hawk Ranch

Knight Hawk Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2007
    Labelle, Florida
    Ok, so DH had bought an egg turner with the intentions of building a bator. A friend of our had a Little Giant given to him, so handed over to us to try.

It is currently, empty, but plugged in and working on getting the temperature right.

I have RIR eggs to try and looking for any and all advice on this process.

Any tips/tricks to get a successful hatch from this style incubator?

Is there anyway to steralize this thing safely before I put the eggs in? It is used and who knows what has been in it. So just want to be safe.

2. PearlD

PearlD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2007
    Northwest Alabama
    Take it apart and STERILIZE THE HECK out of it!!!
    I scrub mine with dish detergent, rinse really good, then spray it down with diluted Clorox. I usually let it sit for a couple of minutes then rinse with HOT water and set out to dry.

Incubators are a cess pool of bacteria if they aren't properly cleaned after use. [​IMG]

As far as the incubation methods....I'm sure there is a post or "Sticky" on here somewhere? with lots of info for you to read!!

Good Luck!!!

3. PearlD

PearlD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2007
    Northwest Alabama
    YES!! Look on the main index under 'Frequently Asked Questions" then scroll down to incubator topics!!

Hope this helps! [​IMG]

4. Knight Hawk Ranch

Knight Hawk Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2007
    Labelle, Florida
    This is what I was looking for.
    I have already printed out the hatching directions that were on the sticky here.
    Just looking for more input about this particular bator.

I think I have gotten the temp to stablize but will definetly steralize before putting eggs in.

5. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Good Luck I have RIR's and I love watching them. [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by