Fish "baytril"

Garden Peas

Songster
5 Years
Sep 23, 2014
Okay, here's a goofy idea -- @casportpony , what do you think?

Baytril -- more specifically, enrofloxacin, which is the generic name for the medicine which is sold as Baytril, and which requires a vet prescription for the injectable liquid and the dog tablets, is also used for FISH.

It appears that the FISH version is available without a prescription, in capsules (not tablets!) that each contain 25 mg of enrofloxacin, in a water-soluble form.

http://www.thomaslabs.com/products/651-fish-enro-enrofloxacin-25mg.aspx

It appears to be readily available from a variety of places, in 30 and 60 capsule bottles.

I've read that oral administration of Baytril works well. Kathy? Have you tried giving Baytril orally?

If so, then one easy way to get Baytril into a peafowl would be to (1) figure out the bird's weight; (2) figure out the right dose for the bird in mg of medicine, and (3) add it to mash (in an amount of mash that the bird will completely eat). It is made to dissolve in water, since this version is used in fish tanks. I bet if the mash were moist/liquidy, it would blend right in.... or you could dissolve it in the water used to make the mash.

Alternatively, it could be dissolved in a small amount of water and carefully dosed directly into the bird, if you are good at that sort of thing.

Since it looks like the correct doses are something on the order of 5-15 mg/kg twice per day, or 30 mg/kg once per day (Kathy, is this correct?), one capsule's worth once a day or half a capsule twice per day would be close to the right dose for a 2.2 pound (1 kg) very young, small bird.

A hen that weighed 4 kg would get about 4 capsules' worth of medicine once per day, or half that, twice per day...

A male that weighed 6 kg would get about 6 capsules (once per day) or 3 capsules, twice per day.

I think you could get really close to half a capsule by dumping out the granules or powder from the capsule onto a plate and dividing it with a table knife... maybe even quarters that way, in order to "fine tune" the dose or split it morning and evening for a small bird.

A 30 capsule bottle would be enough meds to treat a male bird for the recommended five days.

I found the fish version on ebay and from some other animal suppliers.

Thoughts?

Edited to add: That 4 kg "sample" hen would weigh approximately 8 pounds 13 ounces if weighed in U.S. pounds and ounces. The 6 kg "sample" male would weigh approximately 13 pounds 3 ounces, if weighed in U.S. pounds and ounces... Convert pounds to kilograms by dividing by 2.2, remembering that you need to convert your ounces to a decimal pound first
smile.png

Last edited:
I tried the dissolving fish zole tabs in water and they didn't dissolve, the pieces just floated, then sank, but maybe capsules would be different?

What's the cost per mg vs the liquid?

-Kathy

I tried the dissolving fish zole tabs in water and they didn't dissolve, the pieces just floated, then sank, but maybe capsules would be different?

What's the cost per mg vs the liquid?

-Kathy

I tried to look up and see if there was a difference in solubility... metronidazole (fish zole) is a different drug, so may not be water soluble. I don't know for sure if the baytril is water soluble, but if the vet crushed it and put it into syrup for EllyMay, they must depend on getting an accurate dose somehow, even with the shaking the bottle...

I'll try to figure cost next...

And even if it isn't totally soluble, if the bird consumes it in the mash, it should work, don't you think?

The vet uses a special syrup, which we just bought, but I haven't tried yet. It's called Ora Plus. On my list of things to try... Sigh. One could try a combo of corn syrup and water maybe (also on my list of experiments).

Baytril will bind with calcium, so I don't know if that would be an issue mixing it in food or not?

-Kathy

Here is a bunch of info on Baytril (enrofloxacin). Has info like dosing for the different species, drug interactions, side effects, etc.

From Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook

-Kathy

The vet uses a special syrup, which we just bought, but I haven't tried yet. It's called Ora Plus. On my list of things to try... Sigh. One could try a combo of corn syrup and water maybe (also on my list of experiments).

Baytril will bind with calcium, so I don't know if that would be an issue mixing it in food or not?

-Kathy

Well that nixes feeding it with milk in their morning hot chocolate
tongue2.gif

sigh. You sent a chart -- I found it on the chart -- now I can't find the chart
he.gif
Maybe it was on a different thread....

-Kathy

Well that nixes feeding it with milk in their morning hot chocolate  :plbb

I don't know if there is enough calcium in the feed that it would be an issue. Just thinking out loud.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom