fish carcass

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by stevin, Nov 23, 2009.

1. stevin

stevin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Dartmouth, Ma
    living along the coast of massachusetts i do alot of saltwater fishing from surf to kayak fishing.
    in the past when i'm done filleting a fish i typically just bury the carcass in the garden. can i toss the entire thing into the run and let the chickens go at it. should i be concerned about the guts or even bones? i'll most likely just leave it in there for a few hours and then dispose the rest into the garden....the last thing i want is it sitting around for a day or 2 and stinking up the joint....

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Sounds like chicken heaven to me!

3. sommrluv

sommrluv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    I would toss it in. Whatever you do, don't do what I did the one day....I tied one up with twine, because I thought it would get too filthy on the ground because it was raining. The chickens were terrified of the big catfish carcass twisting in the wind, and refused to eat it.

Hysterical.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  4. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    Please Remember when feeding Raw Fish to any animal, it has the potential to have worms!

I substance fish here in Alaska and my chickens do get goodies from it, but don't forget to worm them!

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Well you can cook them up and grind coarsely for them!

6. MonkeyZero

MonkeyZero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Or give em to me!
    My turtles LOVE fish carcass
    We buy whole fish some times(like once a month), and they love it!
    [​IMG]

7. twentynine

twentynine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Everytime I go fishing my chickens get a fish carcase. I filet it to get the meat off and they get the rest. 15 minutes and it is gone.

8. stevin

stevin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Dartmouth, Ma
    i didn't think about the worms in the fish meat. here we have a few species that do carry worms during the warmer months like cod for instance. they are easily seen when you hold a fillet up to a light and then picked out of the meat. as for the majority of the fish that i catch like striped bass i haven't come accross any worms yet. occassionaly they do have sea lice early in the spring which is an indication that they are migrating fish coming from the southern states on the east coast.
    i'm glad to hear that others here do feed their chickens fish. i will make sure to give the fish a good look over before tossing it into the run.
    heres another question......do you think that chickens would eat crabs (live crabs)? i often use green and asian crabs as bait and sometimes i have plenty of extras at the end of a fishing trip. these crabs are very small in size, anywhere from 3/4" to 2".........

9. shearwater

shearwater Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2009
    Nantucket
    I'm wondering if too much seafood might make for a fishy tasting egg. Anyone?

BP

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by