Fish food for chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by NysiaAnera, Feb 10, 2017.

1. NysiaAnera

NysiaAnera Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2015
    Malad City, ID
    Is is okay to feed fish food flakes to chickens? We have been offered as much as we want from a fish food company that is throwing out "contaminated" food, where the boxes have been damaged, but the flakes are still good inside (in plastic bags inside the boxes).

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    The protein on fish food is usually real high so I would not feed them all they want, plus some say it can make the eggs taste fishy. If I had a lot of roosters I was growing out----I would sure mix it with some plain ground corn and feed them.

3. NysiaAnera

Jun 22, 2015
    Malad City, ID

Ooh, that is a good idea! I think 80% of the chicks we hatch are cockerels!

4. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Well for the roosters---Add 13lbs of the fish feed to 50lbs of plain ground corn If you want a 16% protein feed. Mix good and mix as needed. Or to cut the fish feed some---mix 1/2 if this mix(31-1/2lbs) with 1/2 of a bag(25lbs) of a 16% grower finisher factory feed.

You can add 3lbs of fish feed to a 50lb bag of 16% factory layer feed to pick it up to 18% if you want to try it with your layers.----See if their eggs taste fishy?? Probably want!!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  5. NysiaAnera

Jun 22, 2015
    Malad City, ID
    Thanks, that saves me from having to figure out the math myself!! Seems like all I do lately is research on animal nutrition, and a LOT of math! We have gone off commercial feed, so I am now mixing my own. Looks like the fish food will also be an excellent protein addition to chick food! Now I am getting excited to have it! Lol I will have to give it a try with the hens and see what happens. I definitely do not want fishy tasting eggs.

1 person likes this.
  6. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Do remember, that super-high protein food will have little effect on the growth rates or weight gains of your chickens.
    This is mostly a function of their DNA or other genetic factors.

It will however result in more ammonia being present in your chickens' manure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by