Fish food for chickens?

bantam_n00b

Songster
9 Years
Apr 17, 2010
Has anyone given any thought to this? Or has anyone ever tried it? I was thinking, there are fish foods that enhances the fishes' colors but if you feed your chickens the color enhancing fish food would it have a carry over effect to the chickens? Would the chickens color or plumage improve? Anyone try this yet?

I feed the really good Koi food to my chickens(it contains fish meal) ... mostly to the roos and only a couple pellets to up the protien content...you have to be careful not to overdue it and give them heart failure.. no it does not enhance his color to the best of my knowledge but it does help him stay verile and healthy... If you are talking about general fish flakes it is alfalfa based isn't it?

I don't feed standard layer or pelleted food to my stock.

They also like cat food....(which I would never feed to a cat)

Our rooster kept getting sick, we'd bring him in the house, few days later he's fine. We'd put him back out with the flock, few days later, same thing. We went through this routine for about two months. Then one day I watched him ALLLL day!

Long story short, he was eating our koi food out of the pond, and it was making him down right ill! Don't know why, but it did! I know it wasn't chemicals either cuz our pond is filled with well water & has NO chemicals in it.

Interesting so everyone has mixed results. I dont know it would be really cool if fish food could enhance the color of chickens.

Back
Top Bottom