Fish for chickens?

pinkpeeps

Chirping
6 Years
May 28, 2013
Middle Tennesse
So, I'm a newbie and still have a lot to learn, but I overheard something at work today and now I have to ask...
I work at a pet store part time. A lady came in to get feeder goldfish for her pond. She asked for too many for her size pond because she knew some of them would probably die. She said its fine because I have chickens. So apparently she will be feeding the dead ones to her chicks.
People try to give me fish they don't want anymore all the time. It briefly entered my mind that I should feed them to my chicks (when I get them that is), but then thought better of it, seeing as the people giving away their fish probably did not keep them in the best conditions. Such as poor quality fish food, lots of chemicals for bad water conditions, ect.
Does any else feed fish to their chickens? I read in a thread about toys that someone's chickens grabbed a koi out of her pond and ate it. Will my chicks try steal fish from my goldfish pond? I'm getting bantams. I think it is unlikely they could catch them but I was wondering if it had happened to anyone else?

I would not worry about parasites they can handle it. I have heard from many deer hunters who leave gut piles for their chickens.

I would not worry about parasites they can handle it. I have heard from many deer hunters who leave gut piles for their chickens.
Parasites of concern normally target fish eating birds like herons, kingfishers and grackles. Those likely to be encountered in deer gut pile target mammals. Greater risk until proven otherwise would be on fish parasite side where parasite needs fish to be consumed by a bird in order for life cycle to be closed.

Back
Top Bottom