fish in a stock tank? (for food)

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by itsasmallfarm, Dec 30, 2016.

1. itsasmallfarm

itsasmallfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2016
    hello everyone today i present to you a very weird topic.

i came across multiple stores of raising fish in stock tanks over the months, some aquaponics while others being mini fish farms. i know you need a small filter, an air pump (what ever you call those things that pump air into the water) and changing the water every day. but as i live in a very hilly area and my RM says no ponds. i was thinking what if i raised fish in a barrel/stock tank (i need to raise trout as its the only legal fish i can raise) anyone else every done this or tried? any thoughts or tips would be helpful.

thanks a smallfarm out :)

2. balloonflower

balloonflower Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2016
    There is a store not far from me called the Aquaponic Source. I would truly love one of their systems, and I'm sure they would have the supplies you'd need. But, their website also has blogs and I believe a community site where you might find some answers for your questions, which is more the reason I mention it. Their warehouse is a very fun tour.

1 person likes this.
  3. itsasmallfarm

itsasmallfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2016
    i would love to run an aquaponic system but i go away for the summer, if there was a way to automate it i would :)

4. balloonflower

balloonflower Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2016
    But I would imagine they could also answer questions about just fish--sometimes you run them alone until levels are correct.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by