fish meal

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by maryboland, Jun 22, 2010.

1. maryboland

maryboland In the Brooder

Nov 28, 2009
    Anyone know where to buy dried wild fishmeal in reasonable quantities at a reasonable price? I'm in Colorado.

2. Quote:If you find the answer please share it as the supply of Select Menhaden Fish Meal is all but dried up due to a poor fishing season last year and teh oil spill in the Gulf this year. Many feed companies are forced to remove fishmeal from their products due to this lack of supply.

Jim

3. saladin

saladin Songster

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    Our fish meal prices have not increased in the Carolinas. However, there may be another option for you. The hog processing plants around here also sell what they simply call "meat meal." I really didn't know that anything from a hog wasn't used but no doubt there is some byproduct.

Hereabouts it runs $5 for 50 lbs. Protein content is not as high as fish meal but is still relatively high. Just a suggestion. saladin

4. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master 11 Years

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    I have bought it from a bait place off of Ebay. You can also get Koi food, or even like shrimp or crab meal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: