FISH OWNERS

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Goat_Walker, Oct 31, 2008.

1. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Here is the thing,

I have a 10 gall and 20 gall tank

the 20 gall keeps getting this gross brown algae in it that stinks up the whole house.But all the algae is in the filter

Im just ready to get rid of all the fish and go back to frogs.

on the give up list is :

1 opaline gourami(4 in)
    1 whiptail catfish(3 in)
    1 cory catfish (1 in)
    1 emerald catfish(3 in)

Might also give up 0r keep:
    1 butterfly koi ( 8 in)
    1 pleco ( 8 in)
    1 dojo loach ( 6 in)

Any advice??
    Also, any alabama fish owners interested in the 1st list fish?I called the local elementary school and if they dont want them, I dont know what ill do.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2008
  2. chickmamawannabe

chickmamawannabe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Canby, Or-y-gun
    You might want to try posting on craigslist. The only thing I can suggest for the algae is to get a few snails. It sure is a pain in the butt, ain't it! [​IMG]

3. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    It sure is. I hae an Octocinclus (sp?) as well as a loach, 2 cory cats, and a pleco . Its all in the filter system.

4. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    The sudden growth in algae is due to high nitrate levels and bright or direct lighting. To help get rid of the nitrates, you'll have to do more water changes or get some snails, ghost shrimp, corydoras, plecos, and other bottom feeding organisms to help eat it. This also means that your tank isn't completely cycled. Try getting some bacteria and enzymes to break it down. I use BioBoost and it helps alot. Also, live plants would help use up the nitrate. As for the lighting, make sure your tank isn't getting direct sunlight. Try and find the right balance of fish too, you don't want to overstock your aquarium. Some hardy fish that you may like are tiger barbs, blue gouramis (three-spot gourami), some plecos, and other characins like danios. Another thought, make sure you don't put too much food in the tank. All of those leftovers will decompose adding more to the nitrate and ammonia levels. High ammonia levels will kill a fish or put them under heavy stress.

If you have anymore questions, just ask me! [​IMG]
    Don't give up, it's a great hobby once you get the hang of things. [​IMG]

ETA: A good filter is also necessary, I use a Fluval 404 for my 55 gallon freshwater and 60 gallon saltwater.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2008
  5. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    You should try get rid of a few fish - you have a lot for those two tanks, and then perhaps replace that filter?

6. Jessika

Jessika Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Eagle Creek, OR
    Make sure it is not in any natural light. There are different types of algae...... test you water too, [​IMG] Good luck...

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Quote:I agree. Also sounds from the list that maybe you are over stocked too which may be another reason for the algae. Mr pleco there, if a common pleco, can get to two feet long, so shouldn't really be in even a 20 gal. If you really want a pleco, try to find a bristle nose or something that stays "small". That koi also can get to a few feet long and should be in something about 5x larger than a 20 even alone. Either way, the carps and plecos are "dirty" fish and produce lots of waste. Cories I hear do best in groups too despite being sold as "independent" fish.

8. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    A few suggestions to think about:

1) getting rid of the koi, in and of itself, may solve a lot of your problems -- they are messy, messy fish. Always better to have fewer fish overall than more; and one 3" fish is MUCH more burden on the tank than three 1" fish. Much much.

2) Also try feeding the fish only every OTHER day, and not too much.

3) When was the last time you did a water change and vacuumed the gravel? Algae and stink generally means you have WAY too much nutrients accumulated there, need more regular maintenance.

4) what have you done in terms of filter maintenance (and what kind of filter do you have)?

Good luck,

Pat

9. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Quote:I have gourami already, as well as a pleco, and cory cats

Ive head the tanks for a few years now, but Im just tired of all the illness. i think ill go back to frogs, they are easier for me to keep up with.

10. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Quote:That was kind of part of my post, I offered some to an elementary school, but i wont get a callback till monday, this is also my second filter

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by