Fish Pin Bones

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by SaffronRouge, Oct 22, 2019.

1. SaffronRouge

SaffronRouge In the Brooder

Aug 26, 2019
    My husband is an avid fisherman. I routinely give the hens any leftover fish trimmings and they love it. I haven't given them the trimmings that have the pin bones in them. It seems like such a waste of meat. Will it hurt the hens to give them the fish trimmings with the pen bones? Thanks

ValerieJ likes this.
  2. ValerieJ

ValerieJ Crossing the Road

Jul 24, 2016
    Washington State
    I wouldn't do that.

Sequel and imnukensc like this.
  3. Red-Stars-in-RI

Red-Stars-in-RI Songster

Mar 24, 2014
    Rhode Island
    I imagine there would be some risk, but I agree it seems a shame to waste that good meat (and calcium).

How much do you love your flock...find a $5 meat grinder at a yard sale and pre-process the pin bone meat?

Sequel and ChocolateMouse like this.
  4. ChocolateMouse

ChocolateMouse Crowing

Jul 29, 2013
    Cleveland OH
    I love the idea of throwing em thru a cheap grinder and feeding them that way. Should be fine that way since they go through the trachea (pretty tough) and then end up in the gizzard!

If they're small enough you could maybe even chop em up with a knife.

5. Tycine1

Tycine1 Crowing

May 26, 2009
    David, Chiriquí, Panama
    Magic bulletize those... whatever bone fragments makes it through that will likely spend some time in the gizzard helping your birds digest future meals.

Sequel likes this.
  6. centrarchid

centrarchid Free Ranging

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I have been giving my dogs and free-range chickens whole rainbow trout on almost a weekly basis. They do not seem to have the same problems we have consuming the bones as the entire fish are gone in a day.

Sequel, Tycine1 and BadBloodNelson like this.
  7. Red-Stars-in-RI

Red-Stars-in-RI Songster

Mar 24, 2014
    Rhode Island
    I seem to recall seeing ads for a product for just this purpose back in the late 70’s...the Bas-o...

Wait, that was on a Saturday Night Live! :lau

Sequel likes this.
  8. toredano

toredano Songster

Apr 26, 2009
    Grainger County,TN
    boil the fish .. the pin bones will soften I am sure

9. SaffronRouge

SaffronRouge In the Brooder

Aug 26, 2019
    actually cooking any type of bone makes them dry and they splinter easier. This is why it is generally ok to feed your dog raw bones, but cooked bones is a no no. And to be clear, the pin bones are the ones that are like the width of a hair and a half an inch long or so.

chicken bones, in particular, are great to feed dogs raw, but they splinter horribly after they are cooked, and pose a high risk.

10. toredano

toredano Songster

Apr 26, 2009
    Grainger County,TN
    fish bones are different than cows etc..not same..so when you cook them. they will soften.. mackerel and salmon pin bones are soft from start..

aart and Sequel like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: