Fish smelling chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ltipton, Nov 14, 2016.

1. ltipton

ltipton New Egg

Nov 14, 2016
    I got two new chickens this weekend. 1 was kind of stinky, but I was thinking because it came off a farm. I figured once I got it home and dusted it, it would be better. After 2 days, the chicken was still stinky. Smells like trash or fish. I gave her a bath, but she is still stinky. Could this be some kind of illness? She has been mixed with my other 5 hens, so I want to treat her as soon as possible if she is ill.

2. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

Does she have any symptoms like nasal discharge, facial swelling, acting depressed? There's a disease called infectious coryza that has a bad smell as a symptom: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-smells-very-bad-dont-think-its-impacted-crop.

Another poster specifically mentions a "roadkill" smell to her chickens in this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ill-smell-and-clear-nasal-discharge-sinus-inf.

If possible, taking her to an avian vet for a definitive diagnosis would be my recommendation.

*tagging @casportpony , @CTKen , @Wyorp Rock for other opinions - TIA

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

Can you post some pictures of her?

-Kathy

4. ltipton

ltipton New Egg

Nov 14, 2016
    Yes, she has some nasal discharge, no swelling or other symptoms. Is this something I can treat on my own, or does she have to go to a vet?

5. ltipton

ltipton New Egg

Nov 14, 2016
    Is this something I can treat on my own? Do they have antibiotics over the counter to treat them?

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

You could try over the counter antibiotics, but they might not work. If you can afford a trip to the vet, that is what you should do.

-Kathy

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by