1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Fish tank super bug (watch out em)

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Chickengal505, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Chickengal505

Chickengal505 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
  2. Firefighter Chick

Firefighter Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Southeast Minnesota
    it seems there is a superbug everywhere. I used to have three fish tanks and didn't get any disease. I think anyone could catch a superbug at any moment. I'll try not to bathe in hand sanitizer.

3. EmtheFishLady

EmtheFishLady We're all mad here Premium Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Glen, MS
    For some reason when I read "Super bug" I thought of a bristle worm. [​IMG]

Been doing this for years, I don't think I've ever gotten anything worse than a few stings. [​IMG]

4. Chickengal505

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    [​IMG] I was kidding, Firefighter Chick, good point.

5. EmtheFishLady

Jan 13, 2011
    Glen, MS
    DO watch out for the lion fish though! They'll sneak up on you. Especially if you're busy lecturing someone else about watching them AT ALL TIMES. [​IMG]

6. Chickengal505

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    Quote:[​IMG]

7. EmtheFishLady

Jan 13, 2011
    Glen, MS
    Quote:[​IMG]

Yeah, laugh it up. It's hilarious.

Me: "ALWAYS KEEP YOUR EYES ON THE LIONS. ALWAYS."
    Them: "Well, if I shoo them to the other side of the tank?"
    Me: "Unacceptable. YOU HAVE TO WATCH THEM. If yo-[​IMG]"
    Them: "Uh, did you just get stung....?"
    Me: [​IMG]

8. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    This is very old news. "Fish tuberculosis" or mycobacterium marinum has been around for a long time. It seems the media had a slow day so they found something 'new' to fear monger on. Infections in both fish and humans are rare, but it is a zoonotic disease. So if you've got a cut on your hand and stick it in a tank with the infected fish, then you just exposed yourself. BUT fish with the disease don't often live long anyway.

9. philter4

philter4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    Placerville CA
    Quote:Stacykins is correct, not only has this been around since people kept fish in ancient China and Japan, in all of those centuries there are so few cases of transfer that the chances of anyone contracting a mycobacterium infection from a fish is astronomical. Just think about how many fish tanks there are in the U. S. alone and how many people are exposed to the bacterium yet there so few reported case of infection worldwide.

The same thing applies to bacteria like Salmonella, I see articles and warnings about keeping reptiles and infection yet the statistic have shown that about 4000 people get salmonella from uncooked chicken A DAY yet there are no mandatory warning labels on chicken at the grocery store (when I had a pet store we had to post warnings on all turtles and iguanas about the possibility of salmonella infections). There have been so few infections proven to be directly traced to a reptile in the United States in the last 25 years (salmonella DNA is distinctive so you can easily trace the source) but as I mentioned there are about 4000 cases a day from uncooked or under cooked poultry.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  10. EmtheFishLady

Jan 13, 2011
    Glen, MS
    I don't think the OP was really concerned with contracting such an illness. I think this thread was meant as a joke, and I took it as such. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by