Fish thermometer, wet/dry bulb, and temp readings (for my bator)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BreakinTheLaw, Jul 16, 2008.

1. BreakinTheLaw

BreakinTheLaw New Egg

Jul 16, 2008
    Hi all. This site is great. Thanks for all the nice reading and awesome advice. [​IMG]

This is my first hatch and I'm VERY excited, but also very cautious. So here's my hatching question >

I have two thermometers, one that reads the air temperature and one that reads the water temperatute (submerged).

Should these two read the same temp?

One is a household-style display that reads a remote sensor (that I've placed in the bator). That's nice because it also reads humididty (which is between 50-60%). The current reading on that device is roughly 100 degrees F.

The second is a thermometer I stole from my fish tank and I placed the temp sensor in the water. That reads closer to 96 degrees F.

Anyone have any ideas? I started with the fish thermometer at 99.5 but when I added the second thermometer, it was reading well above 102 F and that scared me. I tried to make up the difference (that's how I ended up at 96/100)...

So the real question would be: WHAT SHOULD READ 99.5, THE AIR OR THE WATER? OR SHOULD THEY BE THE SAME?

I'll post pics from home.

2. Robin L

Robin L Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2008
    Wisconsin
    you might get more help if you post this on the Incubating & Hatching Eggs board.

3. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    I have two thermometers, one that reads the air temperature and one that reads the water temperatute (submerged).

Should these two read the same temp?
    Not likely. Unless you are using a lab standard thermometer, you have to compare what you DO have against a known temperature.

Have you ever heard of a water weasel? You should. Have a look at this link:
    http://shilala.homestead.com/weasel.html

Then next thing to get is a lab standard or dedicated incubating thermometer. The Brinsea suggested in the included link is great. Get the water weasels at WalMart for $1.

4. BreakinTheLaw

BreakinTheLaw New Egg

Jul 16, 2008
    Yeah, I realized I posted in the wrong forum too late - oh well.

Davaroo, thanks for the post. I don't have a water weasel, I was hoping the submerged therm would act the same way. It definitely cools and heats slower than the air therm and maintains a steady 6 degree difference between the wet & dry. PS - I've also read TONS of your posts in the archives, so a big thanks for all the good stuff you've shared with others. This forum is addicting.

Sooo. I think I'm OK for now. I got 15 eggs and I'll be psyched if one hatches. Next time I order eggs I'll get a real therm and a water weenie (as we always called them as a kid)! I'm just psyched - this is something I always wanted to try and when I discovered my "shed" was a community hen house in WWII (victory garden style) I decided it was worth "breaking the law" to try and keep a hen or two. Or eleven [​IMG] And just a couple roosters [​IMG]

Anyhow, y'all be seein' plenty of my posts soon (hopefully) as I build all my equipment and share my experiences. I've got 19 days to build a pen for the chicks, then another four weeks I figure to revamp the hen house. One thing at a time I figure as not to get ahead of myself.

I'll try and include plenty of photos - I can tell you guys like the pics! ;D

Thanks - D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by