Fish treats for ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by LadyIsadora, Mar 14, 2015.

1. LadyIsadora

LadyIsadora Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2015
    Utah
    I just cant do things 1/2 way. I think I have a problem. I managed to get the pond cleaned out and it is holding water again then I thought-----a very dangerous thing----wouldn't it be fun to put fish in there? I could go to the pet store and buy a bunch of feeder fish so the ducks could have some yummy treats. It would be fun to watch them duck dive & chase the treats around the pond. So the question I have is.....1) is this a totally messed up idea? 2) what kind of fish would ducks prefer? Im thinking feeder guppies or gold fish but would love some advice before I go off half-cocked.

2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    No I don't think it's a bad idea. There are many people who give small, cheap fish to their ducks such as minnows, guppies, and goldfish and you can get those pretty cheap because there are fish such as oscar's that eat goldfish too.

Here's a link to a similar thread:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/523348/do-ducks-eat-live-fish

3. LadyIsadora

Mar 14, 2015
    Utah
    Thanks for the link to the old thread. I will learn to navigate this forum eventually, I appreciate your patience and direction.
    Much fun stuff posted there, some Hilarious stuff.

4. LadyIsadora

Mar 14, 2015
    Utah
    OMG that was such fun! I went to the pet store and bought a dozen feeder gold fish. It turns out I may have a vegetarian duck. The other one made up for it though. It took a while before he tried to catch one but after the first one went down the race was on. What a hoot! duckin' & divin' while the other duck was happy to much on the dandelion greens I float in the pond for them. I think he ate them all before I could get them off the pond. They were very small but what a little piggy/ duck I have! Thanks for the reassurance and guidance on this. It will become a weekly treat I think, for all of us [​IMG]

5. LadyIsadora

Mar 14, 2015
    Utah
    Will they eat too much? I think one of the ducks got all of the fish which is fine, but I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge about ducks eating themselves to death. Can I put more fish in? how many is too many. These are probably stupid questions. But I have had animals that free feed fine and others that will eat till they puke, eat it & then eat more. I dont want to help them eat themselves to death.

6. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    I would just make sure that you control it. You're right you don't want to overfeed the ducks because like us if you eat too much of one thing it can kill you. It's also probably good to only do it occasionally too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by