Fish Zole

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by kendrat, Aug 28, 2012.

1. kendrat

kendrat New Egg

Oct 1, 2010
    Anybody know how much Fish Zole is added to water to treat Black Head? Do I just follow directions on the box, and how long do I treat them? It is 250mg

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

If it is the pill it is best given down the throat of an adult bird. At 250mg do twice a day for five days on a adult or semi adult. That way you know they got all of it. If it is a young bird and is separated I put one pill in a chick waterer and let dissolve....do it each day....but make sure they are drinking well. If not quarter the pill dissolve in a dish and pit in a syringe and dribble in beak twice a day for five days. Use plastic not metal

3. kendrat

kendrat New Egg

Oct 1, 2010
    Thank you, I guess I am not giving enough then. It came as a powder pack. So at least one powder pack 2 times a day for five day. Thanks again for your help.

4. henstar25

henstar25 New Egg

Aug 28, 2012
    Where did you get your fish zole?

5. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  6. Yeah, I'd also like to know, my turkeys free-range with the chickens and I'd like to know just incase of an emergency...

7. Is it only available online?

8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Two different avian vets told me that the proper dose of metronidazole to treat Blackhead is 60mg/kg, once a day for five days.

That said, I should also say that I give all medications orally to ensure proper dosing, never in their water. I also have metronidazole in two forms, liquid suspension, 50mg/ml and the 250mg Fish Zole tablets. I use the liquid on my smaller poults and peachicks and the pills for the bigger ones.

-Kathy
    Gilroy, CA

9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Tropical fish stores might have it.

-Kathy
    Gilroy, CA

10. karengoslin

karengoslin Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2015
    I bought Fish Zole to treat my chicken who has Canker. She is old and not laying eggs any more. I was wondering what a safe dose might be.?I had to get my fish zole from America as they don't have it here. I used ebay or Amazon, cant remember. It was the cheapest as I noticed they are selling it at higher prices anywhere else. I will try half a tablet 125mg a day. Please advise if you know better. Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by