fish?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by souped, May 16, 2010.

1. souped

souped New Egg

Apr 10, 2010
    Would chickens eat small bream and bass? Any prep needed(scaling, hacking up)? just wondering. Or is this a bad idea?[​IMG]

2. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    most chickens love fish.

3. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    Quote:I've fed the 3-4 inched bream and bass to my duck...she would swallow it whole. If the fish are still small the bones should be too, and softer. So if I were you I'd cut off the dorsal spines, (The pointy ones on the back if you don't know [​IMG]) scale a majority of the body, and toss the fish in whole with the chickens. If they don't eat it whole then you should hack it up some. Sea fish is supposed to be better due to the fish oils...but a couple fresh fish a week won't hurt. As long as it's a treat.

4. peepacheep

peepacheep Chillin' With My Peeps

My chickens are crazy about bass. I gutted the fish and canned them in pint jars last summer. The pressure cooker makes the bones soft and crumbly.

5. beachchickie

beachchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Alabama
    I have heard not to feed them fish. I feed mine some without bones (cooked) but have been told bones are dangerous. I hope someone will give some good advice.

6. souped

souped New Egg

Apr 10, 2010
    Thanks for the insights.

If I have to clean and cook the fish it would defeat the purpose. I mean, I would eat them myself. The pond is overpopulated and I often just toss the small ones on the bank for the racoons and whatnot. I was just curious if this would be a potential food source? And what if any prep would make this viable?

Somewhat off topic, I know they tell you to never feed chicken bones to your dog. I had a dog who lived forever that ate the bones from nearly every piece of chicken I ever had. He ate cautiously. Loved 'em. So I guess it all depends.

Again, thank you all BYC'rs for your shared experiences.

7. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    Last time I got feeder fish for the ducks a few died before I got them home. As I was scooping out the live ones, I dropped the dead ones on the ground thinking I'd throw them away later. My EE roo came over and snagged one then ran off with it. I got up and went over to him thinking I was going to get it off of him and he flipped it around in his beak and swallowed it whole. [​IMG] He beat me back to the other one and gobbled it up too. He comes running whenever he see's the fish bag heading for the duck pen now! lol

8. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    I wondered if this was OK too. Found out that it is. We give our adult hens a fish carcas about once a week. They absolutely pick it clean! And, we found out that they love minnows. DH scooped some up and put them in their water. They were gone in a flash!

9. souped

souped New Egg

Apr 10, 2010
    Great news! Thanks. I can't wait to try the minnow in water trick. Sounds entertaining as all get out. Kinda eclipses bobbing for apples?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by