Fish?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by StarLover21, Mar 1, 2012.

1. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Are there any fish out there that are what I'm looking for?

-Can be kept in a small pond
    -Will come up to you at feeding time
    -Don't get too ginormous, but pretty big
    -Are at least semi-colorful
    -Are easy to keep

I like koi but they get so so big! Also goldfish are okay, but I've heard they don't come up to you to eat- I want to see them at feeding time and such!

2. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

I thought Koi only got as big as their pond allowed? Wouldnt they stay smallish if you have them in a small space?

3. AuberyMirkwood

AuberyMirkwood Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    Clovis NM
    Code:

That is a myth like the goldfish in a bowl one. What actually happens is they grow until their world gets too small, then they grow slower and slower as they get more and more stressed, until they finally die :-/ OP, goldfish come up to the top as much as any fish, you just have to make sure they get used to you. What kind of climate do you have? If you have any kind of freezing weather you choices are much more limited. How big is your pond?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  4. StarLover21

Oct 11, 2011
    I don't actually currently have a pond, I'm just planning for the future, but I'm thinking something small, although I want semi-big goldfish. Okay, then, I'm not sure where I read that goldfish don't come up for food.

5. AuberyMirkwood

Jul 24, 2011
    Clovis NM
    For some really fun goldfish that don't get huge try putting fantails in your pond. My grandmother has a small pond and her two are the funniest fish ever lol.

6. carolinagirl58

carolinagirl58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Lugoff, SC

7. AuberyMirkwood

Jul 24, 2011
    Clovis NM
    Quote:

I agree. The one thing I'd to say is that while, yes the round bodied ones are far more delicate, that doesn't mean there is no way they will live. While I don't have them in my pond, my grandmothers small pond freezess over for most of the winter and her two fantails do just fine. :)

8. carolinagirl58

Mar 30, 2011
    Lugoff, SC
    Some of the round bodied ones are a little hardier than others. Kind of like with dogs...the more highly they are bred, the less hardy they are. I know of a guy in Arkansas who breed the fancy goldies in outdoor ponds. They do fine....kind of a "survival of the fittest" sort of thing. Those who don't survive the winter don't breed and create more goldies.

9. StarLover21

Oct 11, 2011
    Okay, thanks guys! I don't have to worry about my pond freezing over- I live in Texas, hehehe. So 50 gallons per goldfish for what size? Is there some sort of conversion chart for gold fish like 20 gallons per inch of goldfish? :) I am looking for freindly types- any other suggestions? Thanks carolinagirl, I'll look into Wankins!

E.T.A Does anybody know the exact pond measurements I should have for 2-3 comet goldfish, full grown? How big do they get?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  10. carolinagirl58

Mar 30, 2011
    Lugoff, SC
    50 gallons will work for one adult goldie, assuming you have good filtration. Goldies breed like rabbits so plan on that....lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by