fish

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by segeine, Jan 20, 2015.

1. segeine

segeine Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2014
    If the guys ever bring home any fish from their ice fishing excursions (I'm not holding my breath...) is it OK to give the flock the stuff left over from cleaning the fish? (I'm talking about the guts, heads, bones, etc) I don't want to hurt the chickens, but I'd like to use the fish "stuff" if it's possible - no waste!

2. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

Do a search on feeding raw fish.

There are some cautions, especially with fresh water fish, that you should be aware of.

3. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Yes, you can give them the cleanings. They will eat what they want of it.

4. coonhoundmama87

coonhoundmama87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Never had any problems doing it. My husband has brought home whole carp, slit the belly and let them go to town on it.

5. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

Quick search Quote:

"Fresh-water fish can contain bacteria and parasites that are more prolific or possibly dangerous than salt-water fish. Species such as salmon that spend a large portion of their lives in the ocean are generally considered safe, as well as its permanent denizens, but it is recommended that people not eat fresh-water fish raw due to the increased potential for health risks, some of which can be extremely dangerous."

That said, there are many birds that live exclusively on a diet of fish, both fresh and saltwater.

6. segeine

segeine Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2014
    Thanks, especially to RonP, for the information!

7. Tiller

Tiller Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2013
    Bath Co, Virginia
    I've never had any problems as a result of feeding fish trimmings and cleanings to the chickens, had done it for years. Just practice a bit of common sense when it comes to it, if the innards looked sicly don't feed them to the chickens and compost or trash it, freshwater fish can carry some parasites and bacterial infections.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by