fisher cat in chicken run

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by drmchang, Oct 26, 2011.

1. drmchang

drmchang Out Of The Brooder

Oct 10, 2011
    Boxford, MA
    So tonight my dogs were barking and wouldn't come in, and when I went outside to check, they looked like they had "treed" something in the chicken run, on top of the coop and under the tarps we have to keep the run dry. It was a fisher cat, which we have tons of here in Mass. We have the coop inside a dog run, which my kids lined on the bottom with hardware cloth, running it up the sides, to keep the foxes and raccoons out; and the the whole is covered with two large tarps to keep the mud and mess down. This animal apparently was able to climb up the side of the run and slip under the tarps to go onto the roof. Thank heavens the coop was closed up already and chickens were secure, or we wouldn't have any chickens anymore. My DH bludgeoned this animal with a baseball bat and it didn't phase it one bit; it took two rounds from his 45 to stop it.

So my question is, do you think that covering the run/coop area with the hardware cloth like we did the bottom would work to keep out the predators from above? Would it be adequate to keep predators like these fishers from creeping into the pen?

2. bfrancis

bfrancis Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Okmulgee Co, Oklahoma
    Yep. you probably only need 2"x4" welded wire instead of hardware cloth...

3. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Quote:I'm in MA also. Two weeks ago I a fisher pry open a hole between the hardware cloth and chain link fencing so make sure you secure it well!

I lost 2 pullets in a matter of a few minutes. Why do predators always take the pullets and leave the cockerels alone??

4. jbourget

jbourget Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    Yep lots of fishers around lost 67 birds one night to one

5. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    Maybe get some corrogated tin sheets and put them on top. Solve two problems at once.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  6. bfrancis

bfrancis Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Okmulgee Co, Oklahoma
    Quote:[​IMG]

7. drmchang

drmchang Out Of The Brooder

Oct 10, 2011
    Boxford, MA
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I think my DH will be framing up a proper roof over the run and covering is with "corrugated" fiberglass for better light, as the entire setup is under tree cover and I don't like that the girls are all in the dark so much. Too bad it's snowing this weekend! Will make working outside pretty uncomfortable. These chickens were my idea, and my wonderful hubby takes even better care of them than I do.

8. Marcymom3

Marcymom3 Chillin' With My Peeps

I didn't know what a fisher cat was so I looked it up. Eww... what a scary looking critter! So glad your flock was already inside and your dogs warned you of the trouble!

9. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    Yeah, there is a lot of old tin metal out there you can salvage, for this type of thing, wouldn't cost you a bit, and the tacky looking tarps would be taken down.

10. clucky3255

clucky3255 Chillin' With My Peeps

geepers that must have been sad...... how many did u start with jbourget?[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by