Fisher Cat?

bwebster

Songster
Mar 3, 2020
Connecticut
I was wondering if anyone has had issues with a fisher before? There are, of course, horror stories and tales of how evil they are, primarily their eerie screams in the night. Well, one was eerily screaming a couple nights ago right by my coop. My set up is solid, but predators aren't dumb. I ordered a few motion lights for the area to add to the defense.

From what I've read, this one was likely passing through and smelled some dinner. My dog was on point and barked on cue and the animal left shortly after, chickens unscathed. I assume it will be back eventually. I'm going to set up my trail cam too because I've never actually seen one!

Thanks!

I was wondering if anyone has had issues with a fisher before? There are, of course, horror stories and tales of how evil they are, primarily their eerie screams in the night. Well, one was eerily screaming a couple nights ago right by my coop. My set up is solid, but predators aren't dumb. I ordered a few motion lights for the area to add to the defense.

From what I've read, this one was likely passing through and smelled some dinner. My dog was on point and barked on cue and the animal left shortly after, chickens unscathed. I assume it will be back eventually. I'm going to set up my trail cam too because I've never actually seen one!

Thanks!
As long as your coop is like Fort Knox you should not have a problem. We have them in our area and have not been troubled by them, they tend to stay away from humans and dogs.
However, do bear in mind they are vicious if cornered - imagine a weasel on steroids, be careful :)

There are some threads on BYC about problems some people have had with them. If they find a way to get to your birds they will. Luckily we don't have them. Apparently they can get through very small spaces. Good luck and if you get a picture on your camera please post it.

We live in Massachusetts and our neighbors 2 houses down told us about a fisher in their back yard. We abut a wooded area. Hoping it was just passing through...

Attachments

• 78AAF15E-B1A1-47C3-AA5F-167EF40509DC.png
    78AAF15E-B1A1-47C3-AA5F-167EF40509DC.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
  • 29B614A7-0ABE-4FA4-8A2B-83FA840E1E50.jpeg
    29B614A7-0ABE-4FA4-8A2B-83FA840E1E50.jpeg
    144.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 758043CB-EA19-48AC-925C-4B6779ACB7E7.jpeg
    758043CB-EA19-48AC-925C-4B6779ACB7E7.jpeg
    167.2 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom