Fisher "Cat"

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Chickie Mama, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Chickie Mama

Chickie Mama Out Of The Brooder

On my way to work this morning I saw a Fisher. It was about a mile (or under) from our home. I've never seen one so clearly before. It was standing in a clearing by the road in the fresh snow. Should I be concerned?

I have 8 free ranging Mallard ducks- that can fly (we bring them in every night), a flock of assorted chickens that free range when I am home (afternoons and weekends) and a few barn cats we inherited when we moved onto the farm that I have become fond of- three of which are kittens.

Is there a way to repel a Fisher? I have a dog. Should I walk him out back around the farm more often to spread his sent?

2. DianaMallory

DianaMallory Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2012
    Lancaster Ohio
    I have only seen one on that show with that wild life guy Marty Stoffer. He found ophans and raised them. Good luck.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Dogs might keep it away if out all the time.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  4. heronz

heronz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    You should be very concerned.

5. blucoondawg

blucoondawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    A dog will only repel a fisher if the dog is actively chasing it, then the fisher will most likely tree like a coon or bear, I highly doubt walking the dog to spread scent will do any good. You should definitely keep an eye out as the fisher is a dangerous predator to all of your animals but it maybe that it was just passing by and you may never see it again. It is my experience that fishers are rather elusive animals and tend not to want to hang around people if they have the choice, but that's not to say a night time raid is out of the question if it remains in your area.

6. heronz

heronz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    My dog was only a few feet away when the thing went into the coop.
    Not only that but it was not afraid of us at all.
    Tried to scare it away but just wasn't afraid of us and kept on coming so we had to shoot it.

7. NYboy

NYboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    White plains
    Fisher might kill your dog, they love a cat diner, be very careful

8. StelleKitten

StelleKitten Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2012
    Granbury, Tx
    Okay, really stupid question but what is a fisher? (picturing a person with a bucket and a pole here)

9. blucoondawg

blucoondawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    They are like a large weasel or mink. They are a dangerous predator to small and medium sized prey animals.

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by