Fishing for Blue Andalusian Gender ID (pics added)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SueBaby, Jun 22, 2011.

1. SueBaby

SueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    Oceanside, CA
    We have 4 "Ameraucana" chicks and 2 Blue Andalusian chicks that are 3 weeks old. This is our 2nd round of chicks that we've hatched and my family and I are trying to play the educated guess game about their genders. Yes, I know it's very early, but we are looking to keep only 2 pullets from these 6 and the others are wanted by another family.

So, what I'm seeing is that both Andalusians have the beginnings of their combs. We have never hatched this breed before, so we don't know if both genders get their combs early (pics of adults do look to me like they develop pretty big combs) or if we have 2 roos. With the Ameraucanas we see one with the beginnings of "his" comb and the other 3 don't have anything. We have hatched some mutt Ameraucanas previously, so we have seen that those cockerels seemed to get going on their combs much earlier than the pullets.

So, we'd love it if anyone out there with Andalusian experience would weigh in. I know it's a guessing game, but that's part of the fun. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  2. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    Pictures would help us help you much better...

3. SueBaby

SueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    Oceanside, CA
    Of course!

[​IMG]
    Here is a shot of Sprinkle and Sparkle. I think this is a good shot of how their combs are developing.

[​IMG]
    And for kicks, here's a pic of Honey and Goldie (my kids choose such original names!). See how Honey has nothing going on with her comb but Goldie definitely does? The other 2 Ameraucanas look like Honey.

Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by