fishing?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by agnes_day, Mar 24, 2009.

1. agnes_day

agnes_day Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    ok, i want to take my boys fishing this summer...there is a lake by our house that has trout..my question is this. what do i need? i dont want to spend a huge amount of money on fishing stuff but there is an overwhelming selection of things to buy. what do i really need?
    also, if anyone has been to lake pretty water here in sapulpa, i would love to hear how it was for you.i know nothing about fishing but my kids have went with my brother in law before and now they want me to take them so there it is, i guess.
    thanks! [​IMG]

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Poles, hooks, bait and a pail. A pair of needle nose plyers to remove the hook - I hate sticking my hand in their mouths so I use pliers. You don't need fancy lures and bobbers to just go out and have fun with the kids. I raised a boy so we did boy things. I could play football with my eyes shut [​IMG]

3. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    If there is a bait shop in the area, simply stop and ask some questions, they will be happy to help, or.....any local folks that fish there will help you out also.

Depends if you can fish from shore, or need to use a boat?

Trout like worms, minnows, artificial spinners.

~ bigzio

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Heck I use Cheetos for bait. Never any left over [​IMG]

5. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

Your kids are how old? Don't forget the first aid kit for whoever gets the hook set in his bottom. Other than that, the most important things are food and drink to keep you busy and QUIET enough to catch anything.

6. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    You might check into whether you need a fishing license or not, the kids don't but you probably do. Here in CA they run @ $30, sometimes you can buy day passes too...

You might also ask around if there are any kids fish for free days.. here they have them and local fishing clubs invite kids to come out and fish with them, they provide all the equipt and show the kids what to do, how to clean fish, etc. My dads Bass fishing club used to do it twice a year and he loved it. It was fun for all and I bet they would help you out with what to buy to do it yourself on other days.

Good luck and have fun! I love fishing... great thing to teach your kids!

Nancy

7. agnes_day

agnes_day Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    they are 16,15,13,11,8, and 3, almost 4.

we dont have a boat so i guess we will be using a pier or something, i saw one on their website..but other than that, i just dont know. they have fishing poles that are 12 dollars, some that are 100 dollars..i mean, they all look alike to me! [​IMG]

8. whitecra

whitecra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Oklahoma
    You do need a fishing license here in Oklahoma and also a trout stamp if there is trout where you are fishing and if you are fishing for them. I am not sure of the price.
    Chris

9. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    Barbie fishing pole: $10

do NOT get the Simpsons pole...it doesn't cast out.

I saw big fish gotten by the Barbie pole.

We're going to trade in the Simpsons for a Scooby doo.

10. KyleD.

KyleD. Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2009
    south carolina
    as for trout fishing any pole is fine and i mean any, i live near rivers and constantly trout fish. wal-mart sells some small small rods and reels which is what i use because its on the river. all you need is some hooks, rods and reels, sinkers, and bait. Oh and i stringer (good eatin =]) as far as bait worms, power beait, salmon eggs, crickets (trout love love love crickets) artificial corn (real corn they cant digest so if you throw them back they may can die) bread. they will bite almost anything lol. as for hooks not toobig but no too small. i would use a size 8 or 10 whatever you feel you can tie on! theres the basics well sort of broken down but will lead you to tons and tons of fun fishing! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by