Fishing

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by thekid, Jun 5, 2011.

1. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

Well I got a new rod all fixed up and made it look nice (will get pics later) but I really never use any "food" to fish. By food I mean like corn and hotdogs. I know corn, hotdogs, and carrots are good fishing bait. Is there anything else I could use? Thankyou - Brian

2. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    Quote:worms, grubs, crickets, crawdads [​IMG] I used to make a cricket trap with a lamp kit and a cardboard box, set it out, and the next morning have enough creepy crawley crickets to fish all day with.

3. thekid

Quote:worms, grubs, crickets, crawdads [​IMG] I used to make a cricket trap with a lamp kit and a cardboard box, set it out, and the next morning have enough creepy crawley crickets to fish all day with.

i always use like live bait, im talking like human food haha [​IMG] [​IMG] but i have never seen a cricket trap before can you tell me about one of those [​IMG] Thankyou

4. Boyd

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    sure, put a light inside of a box. Cut a hole in each side.... on the inside of the box take an old piece of screening and staple it up. Crickets hop in the hole, climb at an upward angle, drop down to the floor of the box where the bait is.. I usually use a fresh piece of bread and a couple of peeled carrots (baby carrots work too).... in the morning you open the box top an voila.... Fishing bait [​IMG]

5. WickedNerd

WickedNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    North Alabama
    I was told by a friend that marshmallows and gummy worms are good bait. I don't know about the gummy worms first hand, but the marshmallows kept getting eaten off the hook when I went this last time. If you can find a way for them to take the hook while using them, I'd use the marshmallows.

6. thekid

Haha thankyou Boyd [​IMG] and what are those little things you buy at walmart and the hole in them is about the size of a cricket? I always saw those and thought that was something for crickets but not sure [​IMG]

7. Boyd

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    Quote:they have some but I don't think they live catch the crickets.. [​IMG] kinda like ant traps don't trap ants

8. Matthew3590

Matthew3590 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Middle, TN
    cicadas are really happening right now! everything is biting them bluegill, bass, and even catfish!

9. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    I know you're asking about human food bait, but have you guys ever tried butterworms?

I got some in a couple days ago for my lizards for the first time and I heard they make great fishing bait. I tried cutting one in half to feed to one of my smaller lizards and they kind of turn into nothing/mush when you do that. They're almost like tiny water balloons filled with worm goo. When you put them on the hook, they keep their form?

That cricket box sounds like a great idea. I should try this to get some easy treat crickets for my chickens.

But back on topic - I've never used people food. I used to see this lady fishing all the time with an upside down umbrella and corn. [​IMG]

I usually use small jiggly rubber worms or earth worms.

10. thekid

butter worms - when you open the big box they come in at the bait store it smells like peaches ahh lol but i use butter worms for trout since that is when the are available.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by