fishy eggs- and people want to buy- what do i do?

TeamChaos

Songster
10 Years
Nov 8, 2009
I'm new to chickens and my girls have been laying up a storm, word got out and I have folks that would like to buy some eggs- yay! I feed my girls kitchen scraps and occasionally they get treats like sardines and salmon leftovers. Last week my husband had a "fishy egg" and now I'm worried that I'll sell someone a fishy egg. Do I just warn them ahead of time or just wait to sell anymore until I'm certain the eggs are "fish free"? I was foolish and didn't keep track of when I fed the fish, but I will do that in the future.

If you're going to be selling your eggs, don't feed your hens anything that will "flavor" the eggs. If I bought eggs that tasted fishy, I sure wouldn't buy from that source again. I believe there is a list somewhere on this site about foods that will cause the eggs to taste other than a fresh egg should.

I sell my extra eggs. I don't feed my hens anything that I feel may give their eggs an unpleasant taste - fish, onions or garlic. I don't know for sure that these things will have an impact on the eggs; I mainly go by what I know can give milk an unpleasant taste if consumed by cows.

Stop feeding the fish! Even if it isn't much what I suspect is happening is that one or two of the dominate hens is getting most of it so it's flavoring their eggs.

Back
Top Bottom