"Fishy" odor in eggs. Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Diamanda, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Diamanda

Diamanda New Egg

Sep 28, 2010
    We have 4 young hens in our city back yard. Two are old enough to lay eggs, the other two are getting close (so exciting!).

A couple of eggs have smelled a bit "fishy" when cooked lately and we can't figure out why. We don't feed the girls anything but fresh veggies and hen mix grains. No dairy or meat or fish products.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks for your help!

BackYard Chicken Owner
    Seattle, WA

2. Annabella

Annabella Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2010
    Depends on the vegie scraps you are feeding them.
    Onion family are supposed to be a no no to feed.
    Would a lot of cabbage/broccoli be enough to bring through their flavour??

Edited to add:
    I did a search on fishy eggs and it looks as though I wasn't far off the mark. [​IMG] See below link for some interesting facts.
    BYC is a wonderful site for information!! [​IMG]
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/1/egg-quality-handbook/36/off-odours-and-flavours

Best of luck.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Check to make certain feed not going rancid. Rancidity of feed may not be enough stop feeding yet affect eggs.

4. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Thanks Annabella for that link...very interesting.

5. Ohhhdear

Ohhhdear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    West Michigan
    Quote:I remember not being able to eat certain foods when I was nursing my sons. There's chemicals in the cruxiform family (cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, kale, kohlrabi), some teas, spices and sodas that change the taste of breast milk and/or can give your baby colic or gas. I couldn't eat pizza because of the grease and pepperoni.
    So I guess it's understandable that a hen's eggs will be affected similarly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by