1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Fishy sounding?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Peaches Lee, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    My grandfather calls my mother and says that he has just found out that his retirement has come in. He would like to put her and I on as his beneficieries, so will need our Social Security # and our birthdate. He has been retired for a long time, more than 20 yrs ago, has a shady side and has been sort of estranged from us due to my mother's idiot brother causing family trouble.

So, we are really wary about giving him our Socials, we haven't spoken in about 2 years and all of a sudden, by phone we are suppose to hand this info out. It has us scratching our heads. I was hoping someone on here might be able to give me some info from their experience with this kind of stuff. A couple people I have spoken to are a bit doubtful that all is legitimate with this deal.

So, to be a beneficiary, do you have to hand over your Social Security # and birthday info?, because we are incredibly leery to do so.

Thanks for any input. [​IMG]

2. ChooksinChoppers

ChooksinChoppers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Ocala, Florida.
    I don't really know for sure....but I would think he only needs your names on the paperwork. Maybe call a lawyer that specializes in this kind of thing ...heck even the secretary would be able to tell you.

3. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Ask him to make a copy of the paperwork,and to mail it to you. I would not give out that info to anyone including family. The idea of free money is tempting,and I bet he hopes you give info over for that free cash.

Recently my mom opened up accounts at a credit union for her and the grandkids. New laws required finger printing along with SS numbers and birthdays.

Ask for a copy of the forms your relative is filling out.He should not get mad that you want to read things over first. If he does get mad and is reluctant to send the papers then you know he is trying to scam you.

When my mom did a surviorship deed for her house she only needed my name to redo the deed.

4. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks guys. Yeah, it is really suspicious sounding, and I do agree with you, Mattemama, I'm wondering if he thinks we will be all excited about the money (which we aren't [​IMG]) and hopes we'll just throw that info to him.

We are planning on calling a lawyer as well. Thanks for your replies. [​IMG]

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I'd recommend being cautious. Contacting a lawyer is a very good.

6. mrkpero

mrkpero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    My mom actually just asked for mine yesterday for the same beneficiary reason you mentioned. That being said, due to what you said, you should proceed with caution. Good luck!

7. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    If its a pension like mine it will cease upon his death and will the only one that can benifit from it would be his spouse unless it has some kind of cash value.

8. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    With such a close loving relationship as you describe a call for personal information would set off clanging bells in my head. Check it out thoroughly. or get the contact info and give your info directly to his "retirement" fund.

9. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    I had to submit my husband's SS# for him to be a beneficiary of my retirement fund. I think we also had to submit it for my life insurance at work.
    However, in your situation I would proceed with extreme caution. It sounds like your suspicions are raised, and for good reason.

10. goobhen

goobhen Chicks Rule

Dec 6, 2008
    Indiana
    I had to give my human resource department my son's social security number to add him as a beneficiary. My son got a job at my work just a different department, he wanted to put my husband as his beneficiary and he had to put DH's ss# on the form too. I would be leery if you have not had a relationship with him, and you have not spoken with him for two years? You can do a lot with a person's date of birth and ss#.... buy a house, get credit cards.....cause a lot of trouble for someone!
    Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by