1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Fist day out in the big world.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ButchGood, Mar 24, 2012.

1. ButchGood

ButchGood Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Central Texas
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]They loved the first day out of the brooder. They ate bugs, grass, dirt,and thier food. They scratched and dusted and sparred. About 5 hours out. Tomorrow going out again. The birds really need the sunshine and freh air, I havn't seen them this happy in the 2 weeks they have been alive. I think they should bee outside like this everyday.

2. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Aw, they sound like they enjoyed it! Are you going to free range your chickens? They love it outdoors, and then you don't need to provide grit for them either. :p

The first picture is very cute, brings back memories of my first chicks, how they didn't want to leave their box when we took them outside for the first time.

3. ButchGood

ButchGood Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Central Texas
    Yes, They will be pretty much free range. I have a 25x25 run for them when Im not around. Thats going to be there spring and summer run. In the fall and winter the get my 50x40 veggie garden that is attached to a 60' diameter circular Zen/Meditation garden. When Im home they'll have access to about 2 acres. So yeah I guess you could call it free range.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by