Fitch Line of Cuckoo Marans with yellow legs?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sandspoultry, Apr 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    Just a little back ground here. We have the Fitch line of Cuckoo's from Iona McCormick in NC. We have a BYC'r that claims to have hatched yellow legged cuckoo's from these birds? (Harp Turkey Ranch) I know Iona has had these birds for many years and not had any yellow legs and has sold them far and wide. Has anybody else ever seen any yellow legs? Also we have no other marans other than Wade Gene BC's and they haven't started laying yet.

Don't see any yellow here
    [​IMG]

Very very curious

2. cwc362

cwc362 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Huntingdon- West Tn
    Is the person a newbie or an experienced breeder? Maybe they don't know exactly what yellow legs look like. Did they send you a pic? I have trouble visualizing some of the colors used to describe leg color- Like Willow .

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

4. sandspoultry

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    Quote:Yes they did and the thread is correct. The pics taken were flashed at close range, that lightens the color. Do you have pics of your eggs? and how the picture was taken? please do share and I'll buy some eggs from you and take pics and post them here? I can make them look darker or lighter the only true pic is of the eggs pictured beside a color chart yes? Would you like to try that test?

The shell color of the eggs has nothing to do with leg color of the birds? Marans lay differnet shell colors thru the laying cycle- if a hen lays a 4 and then lightens to a 3 is she still a Marans? Ask Bev, or Ron Or Wade? or is she only a Marans for the 4 and then what a ????? for the later eggs?

Steve in NC

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  5. sandspoultry

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    Quote:They are a newbie

Steve in NC

6. Harp Turkey Ranch

Harp Turkey Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    McCleary, WA
    If these chicks came out of the eggs I remember the posts about, they were too light to even qualify as Marans eggs.

Did the chicks in question come out of the eggs in this thread?

Yes they did. Thank you.

Is the person a newbie or an experienced breeder? Maybe they don't know exactly what yellow legs look like. Did they send you a pic? I have trouble visualizing some of the colors used to describe leg color- Like Willow

Thanks may be new to Marans,but if this is not yellow then I must be color blind.

Again steve why you want to do this is beyond me ??? but here you go. This is just three pics I could get tonight as it is dark in their area and can not see real well. Now all I can hear is those are not my birds..... but they are. As all the others I have are a different kind of marans. and yes different cuckoos as well. but at any rate here are the pics bud.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is one more that has the yellow legs, but like i say it is very dark and sorry, but here this should help ya.​

7. Harp Turkey Ranch

Dec 18, 2008
    McCleary, WA
    The pics taken were flashed at close range, that lightens the color.

No they were not Steve. My cam has an auto flash and it only flashes when it is dark out. The light you see in the pic on the eggs is my kitchen light. No flash was used. And I never posted that pic to bash you, more to help you advertise, that was before I seen you really are !!! My table in the pic should be a good enough comparision. it is a very light table.​

8. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

Iona gave me some Marans some years ago. The eggs she gave me were darker than those in the photo....not the darkest eggs I've seen but a reasonable colour.
    Iona had been breeding the same lines for quite a few years. I've never had trouble from their offspring & have used them for the cuckoo of my gold cuckoo & silver cuckoo.. As I rememer some had feathered shanks & some not. I seem to remember, Iona said she preferred the British type.

9. sandspoultry

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    Quote:Yes they did. Thank you.

Is the person a newbie or an experienced breeder? Maybe they don't know exactly what yellow legs look like. Did they send you a pic? I have trouble visualizing some of the colors used to describe leg color- Like Willow

Thanks may be new to Marans,but if this is not yellow then I must be color blind.

Again steve why you want to do this is beyond me ??? but here you go. This is just three pics I could get tonight as it is dark in their area and can not see real well. Now all I can hear is those are not my birds..... but they are. As all the others I have are a different kind of marans. and yes different cuckoos as well. but at any rate here are the pics bud.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2epnjt1.jpg

http://i44.tinypic.com/i3hycp.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/28h28lc.jpg

There is one more that has the yellow legs, but like i say it is very dark and sorry, but here this should help ya.​

Harp you really are a newbie and it shows. The legs will turn white as they age.... and since you are complaining you didn't even say the eye color was wrong... Adult Marans have red eyes, omg just wait, the eye color will change and the legs will whiten. it will be like sands magic. LOL [​IMG]

Have a nice day

10. Harp Turkey Ranch

Dec 18, 2008
    McCleary, WA
    The legs will turn white as they age.

HUH ??? Well I have 83 different marans on the ground right now and I have no others with yellow legs ??? Only these 4 from you. The others from you don't have yellow legs ??

I never said I was an expert on Marans, but others have assured me that this is not a good thing.​

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by