Fitting a Rooster Collar

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ThreeBridges, Oct 16, 2014.

1. ThreeBridges

ThreeBridges New Egg

Aug 14, 2014
    I'm having a hard time with finding the right placement/fit on our leghorn Roo. Its either too loose and does nothing or just tight enough that it throws his pitch so its actually louder! Ive moved it up and down on the neck no change. I can still place the tip of my finger underneath but I have tried varying degrees of thightness.

Right now its at the base of his neck. Figertip tight.

I know its possible, the very first time I applied it I woke up cheering because while I heard him it worked he was so much quieter (10-15%). But the hens managed to help him adjust right on out of it. And I've been struggling ever since. Help!

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    It's possible that it only worked the first time because it confused or distracted him; if you can't get it to work when you're using it as prescribed, you probably have one of those males it just doesn't work on.

Basically, if it doesn't work when you're using it right, all you can do to silence him with it is tighten it until it throttles him, which is obviously not humane. The collars won't work on all roosters and it's risky to keep using them on males that have learned to crow around the restrictions, sorry.

I hope you find something that works, it sucks to have to cull a rooster because he insists on doing what his species is meant to do. Been there, done that, while traveling them.

Best wishes.

3. ThreeBridges

ThreeBridges New Egg

Aug 14, 2014
    Thank you for your response.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by