Five Chickens I want to identify what breed

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Delighted, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Delighted

Delighted Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2010
    Atlanta
    We have two cockerels we don't know what they are-- I was given the eggs--my first hatch, and while some of the eggs were labeled, I wasn't able to keep track of who came out of which egg. We have to sell the excess roosters. [​IMG] (and I know they might be eaten!) We hand raised these so they're really friendly, we hate to sell them, but they can't lay eggs, and I couldn't eat these guys! (they follow us around the yard, and let us hold them)

But I need to be able to say what breed they are. They're beautiful birds!

First one: He has green reflections on his tail feathers. I shrunk the picture, I hope they're a decent size.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There's one more full size and three bantams, too--I don't know how many pictures I am able to post!

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  2. crash0330

crash0330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Mecca, CA
    My Coop
    Well that first one seems to be a Golden Duckwing Roo.

3. Delighted

Apr 13, 2010
    Atlanta
    Next cockerel, we call him Speckles--he's bigger than the others, the first roo in the previous post is smaller than the others, but not a Bantam

[​IMG]

Next are some younger Bantams, I think we have a RIR and an Old English in this first picture--can anyone tell?

[​IMG]

This last one, we don't know-- and I think it's not a good picture, but maybe someone knows.

[​IMG]

Thanks!

4. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    Gorgeous bird's.I would take them all if closer.You Have a couple duckwing's.The one in pic #2 with the light head is a duckwing hen.The speckled roo is gorgeous and I have a speckled OE Hen who need's a man.Not sure about the red with black tail but like's an OE also.Hope you can place them they are all good looking bird's!

5. Delighted

Apr 13, 2010
    Atlanta
    Okay, now that I know what to look for, and looked up Golden Duckwings--OH MY! they're GORGEOUS!! I don't think he's going anywhere! At least, not for awhile! Is Golden Duckwing the color, or the breed? I know i had a lot of Ameracauna eggs in that batch-- is he Ameraucana?

Thanks!

6. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    Gold Duckwing is a color.

7. crash0330

crash0330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Mecca, CA
    My Coop
    Yeah but usually it refers to the Phoenix or old games, or at least it does in my head lol sorry guess I have to be more specific next time!

8. Delighted

Apr 13, 2010
    Atlanta
    Duh! I asked my sis, who i got the eggs from. She has no duckwings, but she has Salmon Faverolles, so she thinks the first guy is a Salmon Faverolle. On the second one, her guess is Speckled Sussex/Delaware mix.

Anybody able to tell me about the little bantams in the bottom pictures? These were hatched from somone else's eggs, and the guy doesn't know a whole lot about the breeds.

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  9. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

10. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    The last one is not a very good pic...the poor thing looks sick or depressed. [​IMG] A better pic would help. [​IMG] Color would be Buff or something like black tail buff. Breed could be cross of pure??? Maybe Jap or OE.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by