Five chicks hatched... one lonely egg left

karigirl

In the Brooder
Jul 25, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Five chicks hatched on day 20, which was 48 hours ago now. I have one egg left. I candled it and can see movement, and I’m guessing there’s some of the chick in the air sac because it’s not a clean line anymore. I can’t make out what part it is tho- it’s not like a clear beak. No external pip. Am I ok to just keep leaving it in there? Should I poke a tiny air hole? I’m running the humidity 70-75%.

All things are possible, but in my experience, it probably won't make it.
If all eggs are the same breed/flock/source and the rest hatched early, 2 days ago, this one doesn't have the energy/strength/vigor to hatch on its own.

I cracked a larger hole in this assuming it was a goner... and the inner membrane is intact and it looks like it’s breathing! What do I do!?

Attachments

• D8252DCF-B4E3-45DC-8C19-7C7C3946EEF7.jpeg
    D8252DCF-B4E3-45DC-8C19-7C7C3946EEF7.jpeg
    543.1 KB · Views: 12
The inner membrane may be intact but it is likely wrapped tightly around the chick and it can't move enough to break free. It serves as a sort of straight jacket.
So if today is day 23 and if it were me, I would probably break it out of the shell, spritz the membrane with warm water and peel it away. I'll bet the toes will be hopelessly curled from straining.
If there is blood, stop. The navel may not be healed.

Any updates on the egg? @ChickenCanoe gave WONDERFUL advice!!
Sorry, I missed coming back to check this thread. Unfortunately, the yolk wasn’t absorbed and chick didn’t make it. I learned a valuable lesson and will never do that again! I have eggs ready to hatch this week and I will be waiting, waiting, waiting!! Thank you for your help!

Back
Top Bottom