Five day old rooster sick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by KelsiNS, Aug 3, 2013.

1. KelsiNS

KelsiNS Songster

Jun 24, 2013
    Buna, TX
    My EE roo, Schism, has been weak and lethargic the past two days. Hewont eat or drink, and keeps his legs pretty stiff out in front . I thought he was dead this morning but the little toot was breathing. I mixed applesauce, yogurt, and water and hace been drip feeding him for about three hours on and off. He wont touch feed (too weak), but im concerned about him not eating food. How long can i keep him on yogurt? He tries to peckfood but is just tooweak. What else can i try to yive him and how long before the yogurt mix gets to be detrimental?

2. CatWhisperer

CatWhisperer Chirping

Jun 16, 2013
    northwest Arkansas
    you could maybe make a mash out of his food by adding hot water and giving it time to soften. I think it more important to treat him for whatever is making him sick. All the food in the world isnt going to fix that. I guess coccidiosis commonly causes weakness in little chicks. Do you have Amprolium? Its suppose to be mild enough for a sick chick. Im really new to the chick thing so just an educated guess.

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Crowing

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm sorry that you're having trouble with your chick. If it were me, I would dissolve some chick feed in water, mix that solution with applesauce and try to give him that. If you have any probiotics, vitamins, or electrolytes for chicks, I would mix those in, as well. But I wouldn't give any more yogurt, as a lot of milk/milk products are not good for chickens.

Also, I might purchase some Corid and treat for Coccidiosis. If you have any other chicks, and Schism is the only one that is acting like this, Coccidiosis isn't that probable, but I would still treat anyway. The dosage for Corid liquid is 1/2 teaspoon Corid per quart of water for 5-7 days. Corid also comes in a powdered form, but I don't know the dosage for that.

I could be that your little chick has some internal problem that all of the medications and care in the world won't fix. But lets hope that isn't the case. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: