Five days in lockdown.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by aubreynoramarie, Feb 23, 2011.

1. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    I went Into lockdown on Friday (which I have been led to understand was a day early) it is now Wednesday. Nothing- not even a pip. Would it be safe to give up on Saturday morning?

( eggs were set feb 1st, of 30, four went into lockdown. There was movement in all four eggs the night before lockdown.)

2. gvntofly05

gvntofly05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    IN
    What time did you set them on the 1st? I would be counting Feb 2 as day 1. Meaning today is only day 22. I'd give them a few more days for sure.

How were your temps? If they were a little low it could cause a late hatch.

3. blefky

blefky life in the yard

Mar 18, 2010
    stamford, ct
    What have your temps and humidity levels been like? If the chicks were viable at lockdown, one possibility could be that your humidity levels have been too high and they've drowned - this is just one possibility. Here's a link to a thread that might interest you.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=383525

And I agree with the above post - be sure that they've quit before you give up on them. Good luck.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  4. IroquoisEgg

IroquoisEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Fair Oaks, CA
    hey aubrey,
    I went into lockdown the day before you and my last chick hatched last night about 8pm, but there are 3 more still in lockdown with no pips. I owuld give them another day.

5. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    If you have no pips in the eggs yet, you could candle them again to see if you see any movement or internal pips. If you are only on day 22, I agree with the rest, way to early to give up. Good luck! [​IMG]

6. aubreynoramarie

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    Oh thanks everyone! This has been a really stressful first hatch.

Okay so my humidity and temps during the first week were all over the place, but by the start of week two were holding pretty stable at 99-100 with humidity from 40-50, usually 45.

Going into lockdown my temps have been stable, but I have two thermometers in there. One reads 101 and the other reads 99.5. During the time of incubation before lockdown, both thermometers were reading the same temps. The one that says 99.5 is closest to the eggs right now.

Is it really safe to open the bator and candle? I know most people are afraid of shrinkwrapping but if I have no pips that shouldn't be an issue eh?

7. gitlost80

gitlost80 Trigger Pullet

Mar 27, 2009
    Reno/Sparks
    Take the incubator in a steamy bathroom before opening it and it wont hurt em...

8. aubreynoramarie

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    Okay. The master bath has a shower, bathtub, and two sinks. Should get pretty humid. The only thing I'm scared of is unplugging my lg and having it freak out on getting to a stable temp again.

9. gitlost80

gitlost80 Trigger Pullet

Mar 27, 2009
    Reno/Sparks
    Got an extension cord long enough to reach?

10. gitlost80

gitlost80 Trigger Pullet

Mar 27, 2009
    Reno/Sparks
    I think at this point, humidity(and peace of mind) is more crucial than perfect temp. Just be quick about it and im sure youll be ok. Plug the bator in to the Bathroom while ur in there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by