Five Free Mixed Breed Chicks! East Texas area!

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by homechick, Apr 18, 2007.

1. homechick

homechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2007
    Mineola, Tx
    [​IMG]

I am really sad.. I can't keep my chickens. I vow that I will have my own tiny backyard chicken flock but now is not the time. Nobody is supportive and since I work a full day and take care of two boys on my own.. it's just one more thing to feel like I can't do a good enough job at. My son thinks they are dolls and I've had to ban him from them.. so my family thinks "What's the point if the kids cant play with them? That's why you got them right?" Ugh!
    I only have five and four of them are bantams, one is a standard pullet. I love them! They are precious and already have little personalities. I think at least one is a cockerel, the others look like they may be pullets.
    Anyway, the main thing is I can't afford to build or buy a coop! I could build a scrap-shack but my landlord, as sweet as she is, probably wouldnt like that since my yard is visible to a few other houses. I know that I could spend a ton of time trying to make one from free pallets but I have almost as little time as I have money. I don't see when I could do all that. [​IMG]
    Please, if you are wanting more chickens and are close enough for me to drive to (I live in Mineola, Tx - North of Tyler) then let me know. If you think the little bantams will be picked on though.. you may not want them. They are precious.
    They are old enough to go into a coop now I think so you won't have to bother keeping them in your dining room like I do! ha ha.
    I have another post on here, asking if anybody knows what they are.. I'll see if I can find it and put a link on here so you can see each on up close.

2. TreyClark281

TreyClark281 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2007
    around Katy, Tx
    ohh i wish i could come up and get them but i live in houston and that is a 4 hour drive [​IMG] . but good luck!!!!!!!!!!

3. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    Hi Homechick.. is the rooster a banty? I have to talk to hubby tonight. But maybe we could meet halfway? Like maybe Shreveport? I can't remember how far Tyler is from there. This weekend possible.. see what hubby says.
    I live northeast of Monroe Louisiana.
    My flock free ranges & locked up at night. Of course little ones are supervised till they learn the ropes. I have 5 bantys along with my standards.
    I'm sorry you can't keep them, they sure are pretty.

Miriam

4. homechick

Mar 26, 2007
    Mineola, Tx
    I couldn't this weekend... I will not be around. Maybe at some point we can. Everytime I think about giving them up I feel really sad. ARG! If only I had family that had a shed or something they didn't want... everything else wouldn't cost too much. I want my chickens. lol. But if I do give them up, I hope you or somebody like you can take them!

Oh.. yes, the possible rooster to be is a bantam... the only standard I have is a pullet and she's the redish colored one. Probably my favorite because she is not shy and is actually very tame! I call her "big mamma" even though she's still got a few baby feathers in there. I got her so that I was sure to have a few good sized eggs every week. Yum!

5. ChickenGeorge

ChickenGeorge Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2007
    Homechick. I emailed you earlier today. I have talked to my son's mom. She said they would take them. She lives out towards Hainesville. They are getting the coop finished this weekend and could probably get them when you are ready. My son has chickens at my house, which he takes care of, feeds, waters, gathers eggs, and generally visits them 20 times a day to check on them. They will have a nice home, 10 acres, coop, two goats, and several other little banties to family up with. Email me back with directions and or numbers so we can arrange the details. We may bring the bigger hen/pullet to our house, but if they are attached then she can go with her family she is with now. We also have a hen named Big Mamma, although the others are catching up to her now. We have an Old Red, Sweetie, Buff # 1, Buff # 2, all the month names are used. I am not sure my son actually knows which is which, but he says he can, and I sure as heck don't know if he is right or not, so who knows.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2007
  6. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    Hey Homechick, whatever you decide let me know... no rush okay. [​IMG]
    I don't mind another Banty roo, don't need any more standard roos.
    Maybe try Freecycle... I don't know if ya have one but worth a try.I think you have to have a yahoo account to post there.
    Later,Miriam

7. chickenman

chickenman Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2007
    Texas
    homechick,
    Have you given the chicks away yet?

8. homechick

Mar 26, 2007
    Mineola, Tx
    No I haven't. I'm trying to figure out a way to keep them and make everybody happy. Now that I know what sex they are (two bantam roosters the rest pullets) I am starting to get really attached. What a dilema??!

9. chickenman

chickenman Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2007
    Texas
    let me know when you decided what you are going to do

10. ChickenGeorge

ChickenGeorge Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2007
    Homechick, I too would like to know. I told my son about this yesterday. Like I mentioned he lives right outside Mineola. They already have some banties. It matters not to me. I just don't want to get his hopes up. Just let me know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by