five hens six eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bucky52, Aug 20, 2011.

1. bucky52

bucky52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    was cleaning the poop board off under the roost pole.as i do ever morning.found two soft shell eggs laying on the board.another one laying out side the hen house.yesterday evening after i got home from work.i had three normal eggs in the nest.five hens six eggs all in one day.the soft shell eggs are begining to worry me as this has happened three times in a week.any ideas as i'am new at this.the hens have ascess to crushed oyster shells at all times.

2. chickenpredatorkiller

chickenpredatorkiller Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    South Carolina
    my guess is one or 2 were from yesterday and you just didn't see them... maybe the one outside?

3. bucky52

Apr 26, 2011
    [​IMG]i check for eggs twiced aday.my hens are pets,i'am chicken obsessed,i take them treats and visit them aleast four times daily.my inlaws think i have lost my mine.i'am begining to think so my self.no there were no eggs from the day before.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I'm not saying this is definitely what happened, but sometimes, especially when they are first starting to lay, a hen's internal egg factory messes up. Instead of starting one yolk through her system a day, she starts a second. The shell gland does not have enough time to get enough shell material ready, so the second egg can be really soft shelled. It doesn't matter if she is eating enough caclium or not, the shell gland just doesn't have enough time to get enough material together.

Some hens cannot process the calcium properly. It's a genetic thing. Again, it does not matter if she is eating calcium or not. Her system just cannot process it.

Sometimes, a pullet just learning to lay will mess up. It might take a week or even two for her to work out the kinks in her internal egg laying factory. If they are just starting to lay, have patience.

I hate to say it, but some diseases will cause soft shelled eggs.

I don't know what is going on with your hens. There are several different possibilities. With you finding them on the droppings board, I'd guess they are just learning how to lay and need to work out the kinks. But I really don't know.

Good luck!

5. bucky52

Apr 26, 2011
    thank you,knowing that helps.

6. spotstealer

spotstealer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Poynette, WI
    My girls have been laying since the forth of July. Now I regularly collect six eggs a day and since last Saturday, three different times I collect seven (from six hens). One one my tetras lays double yokers on a fairly regular basis also. Bonus!

7. RoosterRidge

RoosterRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Dry Fork, Va.
    I actually witnessed one of my RSL dropping 2 soft shell eggs within minutes. The second one was not as large as the first but that is what happened. I would have never believed it if I had not seen it for myself.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by