Five LIVE Cocks Found in Trash Barrel

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Redcatcher, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Redcatcher

Redcatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    At My Desk!
    I am not sure if am allowed to post photos here or discuss their injuries but I think all but one is going to survive. I had nothing to do with, or have any knowledge of how they got there, in case anyone is wondering. I just heard wheezing coming from the trash barrel and went to investigate. PLEASE no discussion of ethics. I am cleaning them up and suturing them as I write. They are nice looking birds and will have a forever home with me providing there are no complications

2. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    those poor birds [​IMG] please do post some pictures of the wounds so we can give you whatever help you need.

3. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    One can imagine what they have been thru and why they were there... Nuff said, moving on.... Thank god you came along to help them!!! We are more then willing to help you out if you have any questions as to how to fix their injuries. Those poor birds [​IMG]

4. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank you for rescuing them and offering them a home!! [​IMG] That's so awesome of you! [​IMG] [​IMG] Would like to see picture of these boys. I hope they cooperate and can feel that you're trying to help them.

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    So nice of you to take them in. Long ago, I saw somebody toss a burlap bag off Cobb's Bridge. I was riding gelding who found it quite odd to see a person on a bridge above us and did a freeze in place. My eyes followed the wriggling material all the way down to the water. The gelding flinched when the bag hit the water and I managed to talk him into the water to retrieve the bag. I thought there was a puppy in the bag but was surprised to find a full grown rooster stare back at me.

I took him home, dried him out, and after quarantine I gave him a few ladies to share his life. He died of old age several years later.

I named him CrowHop because the gelding crow-hopped the entire way home!

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Please ensure you quarantine them from your flock, remember biosecurity. Good luck.

7. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    You are a hero for rescuing them. I applaud you. You have a good heart. I hope all of them survive. Please keep us posted. And as dawg53 mentioned, please make sure that you quarantine them. You don't want your birds getting sick.

8. Redcatcher

Redcatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    At My Desk!
    Thanks everyone for the kind words and encouragement. It has been a lot of hard work but I think all five are going to make it and continue to improve. The healing abilities of birds never ceases to amaze me. They were just minutes from dying in the hot sun and had garbage, and plastic bags piled on top of them. I will take photos of them when they start looking better.

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:[​IMG] Bless you for all you have done to save these poor roos. [​IMG]

10. MSDeb

MSDeb Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by