1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

five month old groaning

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by them chickens, Feb 3, 2015.

1. them chickens

them chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2013
    Washington
    No runny noes or smell, lots of energy was out running with flock before quarantined.she don't appear to be eatting I don't know about drinking. Just the groaning while breathing in.

2. them chickens

Oct 15, 2013
    Washington
    Any one?

3. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Sounds like a respiratory issue or some kind of parasite, maybe. I'm glad to hear she's separated from the rest.

I'd start monitoring her food and water intake. I know you mentioned she isn't eating. If she's off her water, especially, you'll have to start tube feeding her to keep her hydrated enough to fight the illness she has. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding <~~ There's that. :)

I'd start her on a round of Tylan 50 water soluble powder and follow the dosing instructions per gallon of water. Or if you only have the injectable kind, you can give that orally at .5 ml once a day for five days.

When was the last time you wormed them?

If you've never wormed them or it's been a while, you can do antibiotics at the same time. If you worm one, worm ALL. The dosage for the Valbazen paste is .5 ml once and then repeat in ten days. It's easiest to do this as the sun sets when they roost.

I hope that helps.

Please keep us informed of any new symptoms that appear.

MrsB

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It sounds like stridor. Look down her throat with a flashlight while someone holds her for you, to see if you notice anything unusual in the throat such as yellow patches of tissue or a stuck object or large piece of food. If nothing is seen, then try to get her to drink some electrolyte water. Look for watery eyes, nasal drainage, any swelling around an eye or the face, and cough or sneezes. As Mrs. Brooke said, Tylan is good for a respiratory disease, and some worms can cause breathing problems, so Valbazen for worming is good to use.

1 person likes this.
  5. them chickens

Oct 15, 2013
    Washington
    Great news, DW gave her some oil n water massaged the crop n she stopped moaning .started eating n chasing the cat around the yard. Crisis averted. Thanks for you support.

6. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Sounds like something just got stuck and needed to get unhinged. :)

Glad to hear she's recovered! [​IMG]

MrsB

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by