Five months old, Rooster or Pullet?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ntankovich, Aug 8, 2013.

1. ntankovich

ntankovich Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    Hello!
    A few months back we took in two chickens that were "classroom pets'" and decided to make them our backyard pets. We were hoping they were hens but we are not too sure. I would love some insight as to what you guys might know based on the pictures. I really couldn't even begin to guess what breed they are!
    Our neighbors have all been fine with the possibility of hens but I am not sure they would feel that way about a wake up call from a rooster!
    Thanks so much!!!
    [​IMG]

2. Tricoglossus

Tricoglossus Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    They look like pullets. How old do you think they are?

3. ntankovich

Aug 8, 2013
    They are about five to six months old. They had a good portion of their feathers when we got them from the people that were getting rid of them.

4. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree, pullets.

Look like some variety of production red or cherry eggers.

5. Roxannemc

Roxannemc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    Yes the age makes a difference
    I don't have RIRs so not expert in breeds at all but they are that color ..

6. Tricoglossus

Tricoglossus Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    I agree, I initially thought RIR but I don't know much about that breed so I can't say for certain.

7. ntankovich

Aug 8, 2013
    The only reason I thought that they might be roosters is because of the longer tail feathers that are a little dark. Otherwise I have seen no signs of rooster!
    When do they normally start laying though? I read age wise it should probably be right about now?

I am honestly thinking of adding two more but would that be bad not knowing for sure the sex of these two?

8. travis5292

travis5292 Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2013
    Their combs don't look to be very red and fully developed. Nor do their wattles. Is there a chance they aren't as old as you're suspecting. By 5/6 months, I assume they would be further along in development. I could be totally off track here, but the hatchery RIR hens I have had, were well developed in the comb and wattle department. Mine all started laying at around 18 weeks too. I think they're getting close, though.
    Watch for their faces to begin turning bright red. They'll be real red for a minute, then pale the next. Mine are doing that now, as I have 16/17 week olds at the moment. It's just a sign that they're maturing and getting closer to egg laying.

9. fiddlebanshee

fiddlebanshee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    The tail feathers do not look like rooster tails. Rooster tail feathers are much longer, skinnier and curved down like a sickle. I also do not see any hackle or saddle feathers.

I agree with the others, you lucked out and they are girls. They should be roughly at point of lay but it can still be a few weeks. I don't think they are production reds, they would probably already be laying, maybe they are RIR's I don't have any. Google some pictures of RIRs and compare. They may also be any backyard mix with RIR in them.

I see no problem adding two more as long as you make sure to integrate them slowly (like keeping the new ones in sight for a couple of weeks but out of reach) and then slowly, 1 hour at a time, increasing the time a little more every day, let them spend time together until they have gotten used to each other. And even then, be prepared that there will be some fighting and pecking, which is perfectly normal. Just intervene if it gets bloody.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  10. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

You'll probably have eggs within a month.

A Rhode Island Red that light would be called a Production Red--otherwise RIR should be MUCH darker.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by