Five Roosters One Hen

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by JanisA, Aug 2, 2013.

1. JanisA

JanisA New Egg

Jun 13, 2013
    Pacific, Missouri
    It appears that out of the six little chicks I have four or maybe five roos . . . One is a Silkie and cant quite tell yet?? The hen is a Millie Fluer duccle, unknown Silkie, three Amigos or better known as Golden Laced Cochins, and the apparent big guy, Gypsy Joe (was to be Gypsy Lee) a buff brama bantam. Currently about 14 weeks old and other than a little teasing, chest bumping and chasing they seem to be getting along. Is there any possible way to keep all of them?? I know I will have to separate the hen but also wondering if just locating her in a separate pen in same area is doable??? Very Very new to chicks :). and love them !!!

2. CowGrrrl

CowGrrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2013
    The roosters will still try to woo her even through pen wire, so they will still fight over her.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    If you really want to keep all of your roosters, build them their own pen, away from the hens. Give them plenty of space, and keep them away from the females.

I'd get another chicken to keep the female company. Chickens should not live alone. Preferably, you should get two or three more female chickens.

1 person likes this.
  4. GingerJane

GingerJane Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    Oh no, that's a pretty bad mix... Keep only one rooster if you have one hen. I think it's 1 rooster every 8 hens.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    This. As a rule roosters can do fine in a bachelor pad with no females. There may be fights due to individual birds' personalities, but with no ladies to fight over they usually do alright. She'll need companionship, though. You can get more females for her, or pick one lucky roo to live with her.

6. Xanadu

Xanadu Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2012
    Out of the four babies I got in March one seems to be a roo. It is the one the store person called a yellow buff which I assume is actually a Buff Orpington. It is the most beautiful glorious golden color and largest bird at five months of all in my pen which also includes one 4-5 month old RIR, three Dominiques (or Australorpes I'm not sure (black with blue green irridescent tint to back feathers and a sprinkle of orange on the chest or breast?)) one of which is 1 1/2 year and the other two are 5 months and one 1 1/2 year old White Leghorn. I asume the Buff is a roo because of the mating behaviour as it hasn't crowed yet and I haven't taken time the to learn how to identify other male features. If anything I've said here is stupid or mispelled please forgive as I am tired and relatively new to this. I had not wanted a roo but he's so attractive and so far gentle though fearful towards me that I will wait and see.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by